ELECTRIC IGNITION GAS GENERATOR TIMER

SBORTONE

Joined Dec 21, 2008
Guys, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping I could get some help from some of you. Firstable, I'm not electronically inclined, I'm just looking for a solution to a big problem I'm having with a farm. There is no electricity and I need electricity for plant irregation or cattle watering. I'm having to go every weekend to do the job. So I was told to get a bunch of 12 Volts pumps with a bunch of solar panels with a bunch of deep cycle batteries and set up the irregation system. I have checked into it and those pumps are very inefficient--like 3 gallons per minute--and the whole set up would be extremely expensive. I have a solution in my mind, I just can't seem to figure out exactly what I need. I fugure, I could get a gas generator with electric ignition, put a 12 V timer on the ignition and program it, so every day at the same time the timer would start the generatorfor half hour and the pumps attached to it would pump all the water it needs. Then the timer would cut off the power and re-statrt the cycle daily or every other day. I know it's a little involved because the timer needs to trigger the ignition for xxxxx number of seconds and if the generator does not start it should continureto try for 3 or 4 times for the same interval of time. Once the generator starts, it needs to cut off the ignition switch and let the generator run for the specified time determine by the timer. I could then used one set of solar panels to trickle charged the battery that will start the process all over again. I live in Florida, so sun is not the problem. I have talked to a few electricians and they look at me like I have three heads :eek:. I know this is possible, I just don't know how to get it done or where to start.

If anyone has any advice, links, or suggestions, please feel free to pass them along.

Thanks.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It can be done, First a few questions: 1,It would help if pumps start could have delayed turn on,can be handled at pumps if necessary.Is there a telephone on premisis? Generator would benefit with electric fuel pump.push-button start, a gen. of modest output ,6-10kW will most likley have a small altenator to charge battery so no solar panel needed.
Just for my curosity; how many pumps and wattage. Natural gas or gasoline? ; are pumps close to gen? Still do not see any major obsticles.Some members might have better info-maybe commercial timer set-up.

SBORTONE

Joined Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for your prompt response. I have not gotten any of the components. I just need good advice on what to get. I don't have the generator yet or the solar panels or the timer. Your idea about a Gen with an alternator or a battery charging system is a good one. I was thinking about 2 110v 1 1/2 HP electric pool pumps or I could go higher. I would adapt the pumps to whatever the gen can handle. I need to irrigate planted trees. If the volume produced is low, I could just run the pumps for longer.

Let me know if you have anymore idea.

Thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
12V timer looks good for a start. What is water source,pond or well ? How deep ? What about security for system ? Generator about 5kW minimum, might be hard to find that small of gen with electric start. Might look for new or used recreational vehicle gen as most[mine] have remote start and remote kill switch.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Does timer have just one output? Will need to turn gen off as well as on,might need more than one start cycle.Can timer alternate weeks ?

SBORTONE

Joined Dec 21, 2008

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It seems to me that you have a couple of completely different problems.

Livestock watering - the animals need to have plenty of fresh water available at least a couple of times times a day, most preferably during daylight hours. If they don't receive enough water or the system fails, their health will deteriorate rapidly - along with being considered animal cruelty.

Plant irrigation - different types of plants/trees will have varied soil moisture content requirements, and those requirements may change considerably from when they are seedlings to nearing adulthood. If possible, it would be preferable to provide water during early morning hours, so that the water has time to be absorbed into the soil before the sun arrives to evaporate it. At the same time, watering too early or too much may cause the roots to mould/rot.

Ideally, the watering should be automatically adjusted to compensate for natural rainfall, and previous watering cycles. This might be done by testing the soil for conductivity, using a microcontroller (or controllers) to compute what the moisture is, and how much water might be required to bring the moisture content within limits.

No matter what kind of system you wind up implementing, it needs to be a "closed loop" - that is, everything needs to be monitored and reported back to you at your remote site, whether everything is operating normally, or if there is a problem with something - and your remote site needs to report back to the system that it's received the message.

It's a rather complex set of requirements, particularly for a beginner.

If your system doesn't have some kind of intelligence built in, resources will be wasted.
If your system doesn't have (at minimum) remote reporting capabilities, Murphy's Law will take effect, and you will have dead livestock, dead plants, and a large cleanup job.

mse622

Joined Jan 20, 2010
Guys, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping I could get some help from some of you. Firstable, I'm not electronically inclined, I'm just looking for a solution to a big problem I'm having with a farm. There is no electricity and I need electricity for plant irregation or cattle watering. I'm having to go every weekend to do the job. So I was told to get a bunch of 12 Volts pumps with a bunch of solar panels with a bunch of deep cycle batteries and set up the irregation system. I have checked into it and those pumps are very inefficient--like 3 gallons per minute--and the whole set up would be extremely expensive. I have a solution in my mind, I just can't seem to figure out exactly what I need. I fugure, I could get a gas generator with electric ignition, put a 12 V timer on the ignition and program it, so every day at the same time the timer would start the generatorfor half hour and the pumps attached to it would pump all the water it needs. Then the timer would cut off the power and re-statrt the cycle daily or every other day. I know it's a little involved because the timer needs to trigger the ignition for xxxxx number of seconds and if the generator does not start it should continureto try for 3 or 4 times for the same interval of time. Once the generator starts, it needs to cut off the ignition switch and let the generator run for the specified time determine by the timer. I could then used one set of solar panels to trickle charged the battery that will start the process all over again. I live in Florida, so sun is not the problem. I have talked to a few electricians and they look at me like I have three heads :eek:. I know this is possible, I just don't know how to get it done or where to start.

If anyone has any advice, links, or suggestions, please feel free to pass them along.

Thanks.
Did you ever get this figured out. I need the same set up and wanted to know if you got it working.
Thanks

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If a lot of farmers need this equipment,a lot of thief's need It
to. If the water was near by the cattle they would go to the water,
so we must be talking about wells.Well require epa permits or
local,state permits. The helcopters look for than pot.

The electrician are not well drillers,the solar supply would be best,
people are use to seeing It and don't understand what It doing
In all cases. Remember every thing in Fla. that lives or grows
Is protected against touching and removing.

Rules of the old's have changed,I Interviewed a farmers,he said
I would take D.D.T. back In a minute If I could. He also complain
about paying waste pick up,not just digging a hole and bury the
trash. Guys your old habits are being monitored by space and
what you buy and use, we need a scence from the old, have a
cattle drive to the water. (P.S.) The Everglades Project is 4 years
old and ongoing about water flow that covers a wide area of Fla.

Last edited:
My ranching friends out in Colorado (the dry part), have solar panels and no municipal electricity. They use the solar panels for powering a computer and maybe a coffee pot, but the heavy lifting (pumping water from 300 ft. down) is done with diesel generators and (the water) put into a cistern for all the ranch watering needs, along with the rain (when it comes). I suggest that you do the same thing.

Regards, DPW [ Everything has limitations, and I hate limitations.]

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Compare state laws that are different,we can not do that very well
so we are at an impasse.Good communicating with you,the highest
place we have is an Indian Burial Mound.