Electric Dryer Repair Turned Into an I Love Lucy Episode

Dezdon

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Hello All,
I acquired a decent used electric dryer recently that I just couldn't pass up on. It's an older model made by "Gibson". It has been performing perfectly.
The only drawback to the appliance was the buzzer sound when the cycle is complete. It will make you jump out of your skin! It's loud, it's long and it sounds twice at the end of a cycle.
I couldn't take it anymore and did the usual searches to disable the buzzer. (It has no off selector switch for the alert).
Upon opening the top of the dryer where all the electronics live, I discovered the biggest "mouse house" I have ever found! It fill my vacuum up three times.
I went on to identify the buzzer and trace the wiring. Which I had successfully unplugged, covered the wire with electrical tape and tucked it safely out of the way.
I ran the dryer through a few short cycles and the buzzer no longer gave me a heart attack.
All is good. .....right?
Back to the mouse house,... I noticed a short bare wire dangling off the timer switch. The coating had been munched on by the tenents. I found what appeared to be the other end of the wire, just a connecter with no wire remaining on it, but plugged into the time board also. Both terminals are blade terminals with heat shrink coating them.
A genius deduction would be, those two ends, need a new section of wire and terminals and plugged back in.
Even though the dryer is working great, these wires must be relative to a setting I just haven't used yet, but could need in the future.
I fab the new jumper wire, plug it in, set the timer and press the start button.
I get this very loud "BUZZ!!!" sound from the wiring panel, the dryer starts, but shuts off immediately. I then notice a light wisp of smoke from somewhere.
I immediately removed my new wire, nothing's melted or hot (?) I try to restart the dryer as it's now back to the way it was before I attempted the bald wire repair.
I got nothing, the dryer will not start now.
( Btw, the buzzer wiring fix is ill-relevant at this point, as I had tested and concluded that fix was good before moving onto the unknown mouse damaged wires).
The circuit breaker did not trip during the attempted. I have power to the wall outlet. But nothing when I try to start the dryer. The interior light for the drum doesn't even light up when I open the door.
The paper wiring diagram stored in the appliance was pretty much destroyed by the mice. I did find a schematic on line.
This is acting like this old dryer has an internal circuit breaker, but I don't see one on the schematic. I do see a thermal coupler, but I'm thinking thats relative to the heating element maybe (?). I mean, no power, not even to the lightbulb,... I'm not an electrician, but I've trinkered enough over the years and paid my dues by learning the hard way at times, and this was so cut-and-dry, and that stripped wire and two chewed off blade connections were so obvious, the only choice it could have been.
Any ideas?
Sorry so long. Thanks for reading.

Dezdon

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

Can you post a link to it?
Thank you Alec,..
I'm trying too, but the forum is giving me an error message saying the link (from google https) is not allowed and if I post a saved image of the schematic from my iPad, it says the extension doesn't match the file. I've tried requesting a desktop site and same errors. (the forum gives the same error for a saved avator I tried to post) I tried to message you the schematic, but no message service on this forum for members.
Grrrrr

Dezdon

Joined Aug 25, 2019
What is the model number? We can find the schematics and perhaps give you a solution or suggestions.
Thank you... Gibson Electric Dryer model gde546rhs0
Here's is a link if you add the hyper text prefix before the word "images" AND remove ALL spaces;
" images. app. goo. gl/WChMTj1F2N5LZt9T6 "
Ps Measured incoming voltage at the electrical cord connection to the machine, its definitely hot. Also took off the lid and did a visual, no obvious melted wires or scorch indications.

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Willing to bet dollars to donuts the dangly wire from the timer was a Neutral and if it was an Orange/tan wire, ( I think) then the fabric selector, control thermostat, and high limit switch were exposed to a dead short via the timer. Would most likely have welded the timer contacts but we need to know what colour wires and terminals on the timer were hooked up.

Dezdon

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Can you try and add some photos of the wires you tried fixing along with some of the control board?
Thanks for replying.
It looks like I can post images via my smart phone, not my iPad. (?).
This photo is in back of the control panel after I cleaned out the mouse house.
I’ve circled the chewed wire with the coating chewed off and what I “assumed” would have been the other end if it.
If you zoom in to the connections, it looks like maybe, the wire was yellow? Maybe it had a component like a resistor mid span of the connecting wire, but what’s bizarre is that was the only wire the mouse chewed. Must have been something attractive about it.
Spoiler alert, I’ll post this at the bottom of the thread also, but it’s solved, turns out the dryer door switch got taken out. It had no continuity when tested and the dryer started fine when I jumped the switch. (yeah,... I should probably stay away from my jumper wire obsession..ha ha!)
ABFAF881-39E9-462E-BA7F-AB6759EAA9CE.jpeg

Dezdon

Joined Aug 25, 2019
SOLVED!!
The dryer door switch was damaged.
It didn’t have continuity and the dryer started right up when I by-passed it. (..WHEW!!)
As far as the mystery chewed wire, we’ll leave that as suggested; “If it works, don’t fix it!”
My curiosity just got the best of me and bit me right in the you know where.
I did want to mention,.. this is such an interesting forum site. All kinds of info to get me in trouble. And my compliments to the members on here who replied so quickly with some very good suggestions and ideas.
I say once again,..
“Thank You for all your help!”

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Last edited: