electric car project

eddien123

Joined Apr 4, 2011
Hi Folks

I currently doing a project for my degree, it is to simulate a electric car on PSIM,

I was going to use a 3 phase induction motor, but i've been told a DC motor would be better for regenerative braking, Does anyone know how to set up a DC motor in PSIM - Ra, La, RF, Moment of inertia setting etc, for a motor big enough to power an electric car?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Some parameters might be nice to provide.
motor big enough to power an electric car
That is a very indefinite description. What would you suggest as a total mass of the vehicle, what sort of power output for the motor, what voltage from the battery pack?

I am planning to convert my 1977 Chevy Luv pick-up to all electric.

You could start from there for your school project.

The gross vehicle weight is 3,550 lbs, 2,440 lbs empty with a load of 1,125 lbs including passengers, ect... The power rating on the original motor is 80 Horsepower and 95 ft lbs of torque at 3,000 rpm.

If you figure you will loose 20% of the rated power on your DC motor due to combined inefficiencies, a 100 hp motor will put out about the same power of the stock 80 hp gas motor, and electric motors generally have plenty of torque.

However, the added weight of the batteries will likely top of the 1,125lb payload, and the original engine is underpowered. With that in mind I am looking into using two 100hp motors one on each back wheel. If I am going to spend $10,000 to rebuild a vehicle I might as well spend an extra $3000 to give it more power.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hi Folks

I currently doing a project for my degree, it is to simulate a electric car on PSIM,

I was going to use a 3 phase induction motor, but i've been told a DC motor would be better for regenerative braking, Does anyone know how to set up a DC motor in PSIM - Ra, La, RF, Moment of inertia setting etc, for a motor big enough to power an electric car?
Sorry, no info on PSIM, but I'd argue the claim on the DC motor. My direction would be 3phase brushless PM.