Efficient transformers

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
SMPS seem to be an option but I am not familiar enough with them to know if they are properly isolated.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It would be extremely rare and unusual these days for an off-line SMPS to not be isolated.

I think every mains SMPS I have ever seen was fully isolated, apart from some special cases where the SMPS was inside a television in the old days.

If it is a wallwart type SMPS or something like a cellphone charger SMPS then it will be fully isolated.

But like #12 says, you should always read the label and use some common safety sense. :)

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
I have a Quantaray SMPS which I got for a digital camera I don't use now. I opened it out of curiosity and found it had pads and switch contacts for multiple resistors/voltage settings. As provided it was 6v@1500ma. with the resistor in the second to last of 6 positions. I wonder how adjustable this might be. If it would do 5-6-9-12-15-24v for instance maybe it could be adjusted to 28? I only want 300ma though not 1500.

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
I was using the LM317 in constant current configuration because I thought LEDs were like Neon in that they have a negative resistance coefficient. As I know what voltage they use for the current supplied I suppose I could change the current until they self limit and hope they don't burn out. Then I could precisely adjust a Voltage based supply.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have a Quantaray SMPS which I got for a digital camera I don't use now. I opened it out of curiosity and found it had pads and switch contacts for multiple resistors/voltage settings. As provided it was 6v@1500ma. with the resistor in the second to last of 6 positions. I wonder how adjustable this might be. If it would do 5-6-9-12-15-24v for instance maybe it could be adjusted to 28? I only want 300ma though not 1500.
What is it's peak voltage setting? Unless it's already capable of 24 VDC output getting it to 28 VDC is highly unlikely without doing a bit of transformer rewind and voltage feedback loop rework.

If you need 28 VDC the easiest rework to do that is to get a old 32 - 36 VDC SMPS power pack from a printer and tweak its voltage down a bit.

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
I can't say. The internals obviously had a selector switch and Multiple fixed resistors. Based on the number of positions I was just speculating on the values. I could take a pot and measure the range.

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
Well, interesting development, I changed to a different transformer and dropped the measured load to 17w. I measured the unloaded power in the new transformer at 4w. I noticed the F-61U was running about 132deg F in the core. I will see how the new one compares after a day. The previous one was rated at 3a while this one is 4a.

Attachments