Effective Permeability

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Hallo Everyone,

What does effective permeability of a Ferrite mean??
Could I get some documents to read about this topic?

Or could someone please explain !!

Thank you in advance!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Permeability is the ability to let Magnetic Flux through without creating Eddy currents.
like "Resistance" in magnetism, so high permeability means less resistance to magnetism.

"Effective" means that by changing its dimensions, like diameter or length , or winding more turns of wire on the ferrite,adding an air gap, will alter is Permeability.

It usually means the higher the permeability the lower the frequencies are cancelled out, the lower the perm the higher frequencies cancelled out.

http://www.bytemark.com/products/rod1.htm

Last edited:

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Permeability is the ability to let Magnetic Flux through without creating Eddy currents.
like "Resistance" in magnetism.

"Effective" means that by changing its dimensions, like diameter or length , or winding more turns of wire on the ferrite, will alter is Permeability.

It usually means the higher the permeability the lower the frequencies will pass through, the lower the perm the higher frequencies are let through.

Thank you for the reply.

But I need something elaborate!!! I need to understand all the parameters which affects the value of inductance when it is wound on a ferrite core.

One of those is effective permeability.
I wanna know how it is calculated for a Ferrite and stuff...

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012