Effect of sunlight to a battery

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I have a toy. (I don't remember correctly if what toy is that) The battery of my toy was already discharged so my toy is not working anymore. My friend told me that I must put my batteries near the sunlight so it will recharged.

By batteries was double A (AA) 1.5 V and it's not rechargeable. So how comes that it really charge? What's the reason?

Thank you!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Many times a battery will stop working because internally little bubbles of hydrogen form an insulative layer. Batteries have chemicals that absorb this hydrogen, but it gets used up. Heating the battery will allow this layer to be absorbed on last time, so the battery seems to be charged.

This is something I learned about your age, it could be totally off base and wrong. It probably is wrong, but it will do until some better explanation comes along.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Could be a good experiment. You would need to compare with the same setup but leaving the battery somewhere cooler because discharged batteries sometimes get a little bit of life back if you leave them for a while.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Warming a cold battery will also give it a bit of life back. One thing is certain, the sunlight itself is doing NOTHING, it can only be a source of heat, or merely a distraction to give the resting time mentioned.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Warming batteries to squeeze a little more life out of them is an old trick. Unfortunately, if you warm them too much bad things happen. Modern batteries are sealed even better, which makes the explosion even worse if it happens.

The gist of it is, sunlight is OK, but don't try anything hotter!