ECU programming

tornedoar

Joined Oct 31, 2019
Hallo.
I am a fresher electrical engineer, actually, I just graduated.
honestly, I am thinking of learning ECU (engine control unit) to start my new career and reaper it too but I do not know how to start I have 0 knowledge in that field, I already worked in repairing some SMPS circuits, I am professional in programming Matlab and I know basic of C++.
can anyone please give me a simple guide on how to start with that field?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
They're all proprietary and likely encoded to prevent hacking.

You could try contacting companies that tune them. I bought a chip for my BMW E34 that removed a flat spot at around 3000 RPM.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Hallo.
I am a fresher electrical engineer, actually, I just graduated.
honestly, I am thinking of learning ECU (engine control unit) to start my new career and reaper it too but I do not know how to start I have 0 knowledge in that field, I already worked in repairing some SMPS circuits, I am professional in programming Matlab and I know basic of C++.
Not much to it for repair, Grab a known bad ecu and wiring diagrams for the engine controls of the car. A lot of it is repetitive.

Last edited:
They're all proprietary and likely encoded to prevent hacking.

You could try contacting companies that tune them. I bought a chip for my BMW E34 that removed a flat spot at around 3000 RPM.
sounds more like a bad throttle position sensor than a bad tune have you looked into that at all?

The engine control module performs a wide variety of functions that are necessary to operate a vehicle. It is the brains of the engine management system. It controls the fuel mixture, ignition timing, variable cam timing and emissions control. Since you are a beginner therefore I am sharing you a pdf which definitely helps you getting the way to build your career. To more information about ECU you can visit
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/1148819d1381074656-basic-questions-engine-ecu-ecu1.pdf