ecg 170khz - 200khz noise

skeptor

Joined Feb 5, 2013
hello there,

i have been building an ecg circuit, please check the attachment for the schematic. I have already built a PCB board in order to reduce the noise, however, i am having a persistent noise which appears between 170 Khz- 200 Khz. I identified the noise using fft analysis available on the oscilloscope. i would appreciate any sort of help in order to eliminate them.

The following are the details of the circuit:

Buff Circuit with a gain of app. 20.

Instrumentation amplifier is adjustable using the trim pot.

LPF is a sallen-key 2nd order filter at 250 hz cut off frequency.

Integrator is designed to have a cut off at app. 0.1 hz.

P.S. : i have made FFT analysis at every part of the circuit: Buffer ckt, instrumentation amplifier, LPF and the RLD circuit. it appears at every input & output terminals of the respective circuit.

Thanking you in advance,
skeptor

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
It sounds like it could be switching noise from your power supply. A linear supply might be best for this application. If your stuck with the one you have we could make a little filter for it.

skeptor

Joined Feb 5, 2013
hello ronv,

thank you for the reply. it is true that i could make a filter probably a bandpass filter in order to eliminate the noise, but, i want to keep the circuit as small as possible. besides, i have used the decoupling capacitors for each of the ic's in order to have a linear supply and since it is in Khz i doubt that the noise is from the supply voltage.

the second point which i don't understand is even though i used an extra buffer stage just to increase the CMRR and used both high and low pass filters, i still ended up having a noise.

if anyone could concretely tell me what sort of a noise occurs at around 170khz probably i could do something about it.... but, my problem is, it is a very odd frequency noise and it ain't common at all.

looking forward for your reply,
thanking you,
Skeptor.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Try using a battery and see if the noise is still there. Anyway noise in that range is far from the ECG frequency range. So it should be easy to filter it out

skeptor

Joined Feb 5, 2013
Try using a battery and see if the noise is still there. Anyway noise in that range is far from the ECG frequency range. So it should be easy to filter it out
hey t06afre,

thank you for the quick reply, but i would really love to identify what sort of a noise would appear in this frequency range.... could you help me out in doing so??

also, i would definitely try out your suggestion with the battery.

thank you,
Skeptor

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
hey t06afre,

thank you for the quick reply, but i would really love to identify what sort of a noise would appear in this frequency range.... could you help me out in doing so??

also, i would definitely try out your suggestion with the battery.

thank you,
Skeptor
In this circuit you have used dual supply. I guess two 9 volt batteries connected like this will do the job fine.

skeptor

Joined Feb 5, 2013
In this circuit you have used dual supply. I guess two 9 volt batteries connected like this will do the job fine.
hey,

i tried it out with the 9v batteries, but it seems like the noise has just shifted to 150Khz now.... i have no clue what to do now. i have been stuck like this for about a week now, please help me out....

thanking you,
skeptor

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Could be coming from Compact Fluorescent lamps in the vicinity?
They seem to operate in this frequency range.

I have had troubles with E-field noise from these lamps, which your circuit would most certainly pick up.

skeptor

Joined Feb 5, 2013
Could be coming from Compact Fluorescent lamps in the vicinity?
They seem to operate in this frequency range.

I have had troubles with E-field noise from these lamps, which your circuit would most certainly pick up.
first up ty for the reply,

but, unfortunately i am not working under a fluorescent lamp,since there's enough sunlight to work with.... :)