Ebay fee's too high

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
They already charge a final value fee about 10%.

Insertion fee for each item is 50 cents, no matter if it sells at all.

Some items only get a very low viewcount, and it takes months until one piece sells for a few dollar.

For instance in recent months I made about $130 sales/month (not profit, raw sales).

Fees are nearly 25 dollar/month.

This is adding nearly 20% to the so-called "final value fee".

All together I have to pay nearly 30% to eBay. That is a pretty high price/service charge.

I posted about that on the community with no result.
I wrote to customer care about that with no result.

In my opinion there should be a cap on the total final value fee, the percentage you have to pay to eBay. 30% in my opinion is too much demanded. It is also a hidden cost which is not obvious.

Larger shops with higher throughput are having advantage here, they even can get lower insertion fee's.

So the total amount of money eBay is making from small-scale sellers is neglible.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am a very small seller, and I have been getting free listings for the past several months. Of course, I still have to pay a percentage when an item sells, but if it doesn't sell, there's no cost. Maybe that's just for US sellers?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
These are only auction style listings, not "Buy Now".

Auction does not really make sense for some items at all.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
These are only auction style listings, not "Buy Now".

Auction does not really make sense for some items at all.
Yes, I get free listings for auctions with the Buy it Now option. I set the Buy it Now price as close to the listing price as possible (10% I think), and people who want the product usually exercise the Buy it Now option.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Yes, I get free listings for auctions with the Buy it Now option. I set the Buy it Now price as close to the listing price as possible (10% I think), and people who want the product usually exercise the Buy it Now option.
It is useless if you want to sell multiple quantities.

I have to charge higher prices, to get out something.
Doing research for each item before deciding on a price.

Paypal fee is neglible, the most really goes off for listing fee's.

Too much stuff is piling up here, aquired over the years, but then not used, or only used a few pieces.

And also examining the price levels, there seems to be a good margin for some goods.

Think if eBay would advertise straight up front: We charge 30% from your sales price as fee.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats because with the buy it now option they get their full cut.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Amazons in hot water for hiking their rates too. Lots of venders saying their gonna leave and its not worth it anymore. Which makes since because 80% of whats for sale on amazon , amazon offers to sell you themselves. I see them leaving the ebay aspect and just buying media at set prices from venders. Then take that and resell it themselves. Mark my words give it 5 years.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It is interesting how local shops inflated prices before of the internet.
Making a living out of it, and paying to rent the office space.

10x to 50x the original price, not adding any visible value.

At eBay you have at least a buyer protection program, and a track record.

Who wishes back the 1980s, with premium prices for a small selection of components. If you were lucky there was one or two local shops, otherwise, mail order only.

For privacy reasons I can not give any information about vendors with inflated prices.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Is Takaos Bug Emporium,one of them? Or, 21203 Spider Hatchery? We'll keep your privacy. :D:p:);)
I hope not. It is really a golden rule not to disrupt a business whatever you think about them. In the end it only backfires.

Unless you directly have a trouble with them.

And oh yes, please mention Takao's bug Emporium. Fine cobweb thread and assorted bug shells.

21203 Spider Hatchery now experienced young spiderlings hatched from eggs, some already made small cobwebs. This is for real not a joke. It might be a bit glutteous but Chicago Blaire Airport gives you a good welcome.