EasyPIC 7 devolopment board.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I managed to save to buy me self a development board so I am asking for advice.

I want to go all the way and get me the best. :D
I have set my mind on this but as I was searching to buy I saw this

So now I am getting all confusing.

Which one should I get. I have all sorta pics.

Please advice which is best. I have PIC's from 12F to 18F.
I cannot buy as I need and as I progress so I like to be able to go above 18F

Last edited:

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Non-pro (first link) does a much greater range of PICs and is far more popular.

The pro version is for PICs with more than 40 pins, but this means surface mount devices. If you want more pins and more power, then go further and buy PIC32 kit or ARM.

EasyPIC 7 is a fantastic board. A real pleasure to work with.

Neither board allows you to go above PIC18 series. For that you need the Fusion board.

My guess is that EasyPIC7 (non pro) is what you want. But I am not you..

Be sure to buy a 16x2 LCD to go with it. The MikroElektronika version is cheap and plugs straight in.

Next decision will be whether to stick with microchip compilers and PICkit3, or buy MicroElectronica compilers...

I love every bit of MikroE hardware I ever bought (and I have bought a lot). Compilers are easy to use (which has made me lazy) and a little limited. So maybe try the free versions before buying a compiler.

I have ARM boards and C compiler, PIC24/33 boards and PIC 24/33 C compiler, but the one I always come back to over and over is EasyPIC7 and PIC 12/16/18 C compiler.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My guess is that EasyPIC7 (non pro) is what you want. But I am not you..
I am thinking of getting it too. :p

Be sure to buy a 16x2 LCD to go with it. The MikroElektronika version is cheap and plugs straight in.
Already in cart.

Next decision will be whether to stick with microchip compilers and PICkit3, or buy MicroElectronica compilers...

I have ARM boards and C compiler, PIC24/33 boards and PIC 24/33 compiler, but the one I always come back to over and over is EasyPIC7 and PIC 12/16/18 compiler.
I am confused about compiler.
Doesn't they provide the necessary compiler.
Or do I have to buy tht too. :confused:

Does the PBLAB IDE work with EasyPIC ?

One more thing which wire jumpers do you prefer?. female to female or male to female or what ever.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
I am confused about compiler.
Doesn't they provide the necessary compiler.
Or do I have to buy tht too. :confused:

Does the PBLAB IDE work with EasyPIC ?
Compilers are expensive. You can download a free version, but that limits the final code to 2k words (or is it bytes, or is it 4k) Check compiler page, as I forget.

Compiler is for PIC12/16/18 only. Same cost again for PIC24/33 compiler, same again for PIC32. Can get expensive if you want all PICs covered.

2k (or is it 4k) sounds like a lot, but just including the "printf" library instantly exceeds the limit, as does floating point maths.

MPLAB and free compilers works perfectly with mikroElektronika PIC boards, as long as you have a genuine PICkit3. I would recommend this combination to start with. The down side is that the many excellent mikroE examples will be of no use to you and getting started will be harder.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Female to Female.

Other combinations are handy, but less used.

If you use solderless breadboard, then female to male connects PicKIT7 to breadboard, while male to male is useful on breadboard.

Let's be honest... all three varieties are useful

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
MPLAB and free compilers works perfectly with mikroElektronika PIC boards, as long as you have a genuine PICkit3. I would recommend this combination to start with. The down side is that the many excellent mikroE examples will be of no use to you and getting started will be harder.
This is confusing.
Do I still need a PICkit 3 ?
I always thought buying the board solves the problem with programing.

I need real time debugging and programing. I thought EasyPIC will do it. What is the use of USB then ?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
The on-board programmer and debugger is excellent, but is a pain to use with microchip tools (MPLAB). Possible, but no fun.

To use on-board programmer/debugger to full potential and without pain, you need to use mikroElekronika compilers. Free version works fine, but is code-size limited. Full version costs money - around $300 if memory serves.

mikroE examples programs are great, but only work with mikroE compilers, not with MPLAB.

The sensible choices that come to mind are:

1 Use free MPLAB and $70 PicKIT3 and 150$ EasyPIC7

2 Use $300 mikroE compiler and $150 EasyPIC7 (programmer on board, so free). A kit will offer better value.

3 Use free mikroE compiler and $150 Easypic7 and decide later - may cause frustration only writing trivial code. Good enough for PIC12 though.

Check prices - above are just guesses.

Whichever option you choose (and can afford) you will be pleased with what you get. Even if it is just EasyPIC7 and 2x16 LCD

Last edited:

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Oh... and a little disclaimer... in case you have a lawyer friend...

I mess with mikroE products for a hobby. The above represents my views and experience.

I cannot guarantee that you will love mikroE products as much as I do, and I will not refund any money if you are not happy with whatever you buy.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
To use on-board programmer/debugger to full potential and without pain, you need to use mikroElekronika compilers. Free version works fine, but is code-size limited. Full version costs money - around $300 if memory serves.

mikroE examples programs are great, but only work with mikroE compilers, not with MPLAB.
Danm, this is hard to decide.

So, let's get this straight.

1. mikroE is like MPLAB. EasyPIC works with mikroE only. Or is it mikroProg suite for PIC

2. I cannot see mikroE compiler just mikroProg...so which is it.

3. I can see
A) mikroC PRO for PIC $249.00
B) mikroBasic PRO for PIC $199.00
C) miroPascal PRO for $199.00

Looking at point 3, will ( A ) be far better than ( B & C )

1 Use free MPLAB and $70 PicKIT3 and 150$ EasyPIC7
How do I connect these two.

2 Use $300 mikroE compiler and $150 EasyPIC7 (programmer on board, so free)
Is this the best possible way.

3 Use free mikroE compiler and $150 Easypic7 and decide later - may cause frustration only writing trivial code. Good enough for PIC12 though.
Will this do for now. Or is with PickIT3 a better choice for the money

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Oh... and a little disclaimer... in case you have a lawyer friend...

The above represents my views and experience.

I cannot guarantee that you will love mikroE products as much as I do, and I will not refund any money if you are not happy with whatever you buy.
You will see my lawyer soon. :D

Kiddin ! I need advice.
I thank you for your input.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I hate to ask, but why do you think you need that?

I have built many PIC projects and do not have anything like it. I have the PICKIT 2 and the low-pin-count demo board, which helped me get started before I knew how to roll my own hardware, and I have used nothing but the free tools from Microchip.

Bob

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

I have built many PIC projects and do not have anything like it. I have the PICKIT 2 and the low-pin-count demo board, which helped me get started before I knew how to roll my own hardware, and I have used nothing but the free tools from Microchip.

Bob
I was thinking of it too since Hex mentioned about pickIT 3.
Why don't I get a pickIT 3, right ?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
A) B) and c) are all compilers.

Mikroprog is the software that allows you program using the easypic7 on-board programmer/debugger.

Option 2 is the best possible way, in my opinion. A kit includes LCD plus other goodies and offers good value

Option 3 is best if you want to be cautious - you can try before you buy. The only down side is paying two lots of postage for two orders.

I would not buy a PICkit3 if you do not already have one. The money would do better towards a mikroE compiler - in my opinion.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011

Bob
Agreed - that is the low cost option.

EasyPIC7 is the nice to use, luxury option. But can end up costing a fortune once you get hooked on more than one compiler, other development boards and multiple add-on boards.

Depends if you want cheap and functional, or expensive and luxurious.

A bicycle gets me to work, but driving a Mercedes to work is so much nicer (I imagine - don't have one).

Sadly I would get no exercise in the Mercedes and end up lazy. Same happened with mikroE C compilers.

At least this is how I see it. see disclaimer above.

Glad you came along with an alternative view

I too started with PICkit2 and microchip development boards.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The PICKIT3 is 1/2 the price and does the same thing, without needing the development board.

I even use a solderless breadboard for PIC projects. I just use a pin header to connect my PICKIT to the breadboard, connect 5 wires, and I am ready to program and / or debug the PIC.

Bob

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Can I use this with the development board ?
Yes, you can use it if you also buy an adapter, but you would just be wasting money.

EasyPIC7 has exactly the same circuitry on-board, so you effectively get it for free.

The external programmer you link to is for programming your own home-made boards which have no programmer built in. Another hidden cost if you develop your own hardware in the future.

I sense this is heading to PICkit3 and home-brew hardware ...

I must have too much spare cash and be too addicted to luxury :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What I do not get is using Pickit3 with easyPIC..!

Is it not that using the development board you can just put in the PIC and start coding and test it just as you will in a bread board but without the hassle of jumper wires every where and without the fear of loose wires and wrong connection and the likes.

I need to know if I need the pickit3. Or is it that I need the pickit3 if I want to use MPLAB with the easyPIC. ?

Would I need pickit3 if I were to stick with mikroE C compiler?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
is it that I need the pickit3 if I want to use MPLAB with the easyPIC. ?
Exactly right - PICkit3 and MPLAB work well together - forgot to mention that you would also need a pickit to ICD adapter AC164110

Would I need pickit3 if I were to stick with mikroE C compiler?
No, mikroE compilers and EasyPIC7 work extremely well together.

It is the mixing of tools that makes life unpleasant. Not impossible, just unpleasant.

Last edited: