eagle software ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , so I am learning how to use eagle software to design my own PCB boards.

But when I am done with the scheme .sch file I then save it and click the board icon to generate the board.

It does it but when I look at the components some of them are missing connections to one another can somebody look and see what I am missing. ( tried to put in a ton of junctions to remedy this problem but some of the components seem to have holes where wires should be out of them)

Also how do you get the components on the side of the board to move into the square for the .brd file???
I am shakey on how to work with the board file to create my PCB design?

Thanks for any help
attached is the .sch file and the .brd file (however you can generate the .brd by the .sch )

The orginal circuit I was trying to copy for practice was
http://www.reconnsworld.com/transmit/fm_trasm.gif <--(fabricating a simple FM transmitter circuit )

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you use the Erc function in the schematic editor?

You need to use that early, and often. It will tell you where you have problems.

You should use Erc before you swap over to the board.

I have an older version of Eagle, and can't read your files.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am using version 5.4.0. And I would appreciate it if somebody could look at my schematic/board and tell me what went wrong.

As for the Erc stuff I use this and it tells me all these warnings but no errors .
It say's junction appears connected and some of the entrys say components are not connected when clearly it looks like their is a junction point connecting them?

I have fix some of them but my problem is that some of them I don't know how to fix it. And what is going wrong with junction points????

Anyway it would be a great help if somebody could look at my sch file use the erc function and explain to me how to fix the file so the board will be generated correctly. And why these nonconections are occuring so that next time I can avoid this problem.

Hopefully their is an easy fix for this sch ?

Thanks for any help.
The attached files are in my first post

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I am using version 5.4.0. And I would appreciate it if somebody could look at my schematic/board and tell me what went wrong.
Use the Erc function. In version 4.16r2 (the version I use) the Erc button is on the lower left of the toolbar.

I can't view your schematic/board with this older version. It is a registered version, and I don't want to pay several hundred to upgrade.

As for the Erc stuff can I use this or fix my schemetic file with out having to delete everything and start over. This would be a pain in the butt if I had to restart from scratch thanks.
Yes. Use the Erc function in the schematic editor. If there are errors, a text file editor will pop up with any errors/warnings that the editor finds.

Use that text file as a checklist; go through and fix each problem one by one.

Sometimes, one "fix" will correct several other problems, like if many ICs' use Vcc, but there is not a Vcc symbol on the schematic. Adding a single Vcc symbol will remove all of the VCC error messages.

Be careful that you do not directly connect two different supply symbols with wire; for example +5V and Vcc. You need to use a jumper to connect them, otherwise you will create huge problems for yourself. Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , these are the leftover warnings
part Ant has no value don't know what value I should but in for this or what unit?

Only one pin on N$6 (their are about 5 other entries saying the same thing but with different N$numbers )

Some net N$number overlaps pin (about 4 of these entries)
two of these (junction appears to be connected GND and N$number )
And last but not least
unconnected pin R7 1
unconnected pin R7 2

Basically I fixed all the unconnected pins excepted for R7 no matter what I do I cann't get the junction point to land on it or visa-vera????

As for the other stuff when I click on it it squares in the problem area and with these I cann't see anything wrong I usually just put a junction point in the center of the box to fix these but the left over ones are not fixing anyway I do it?

Their really is nothing I can do now.

Which is why If somebody can download the free eagle version 5.4.0
And look at what I am doing wrong and show/tell me how to fix these last things it would be a great help.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
I opened up your schematic and found several errors.

Do not use junctions to connect wires to components. Junctions are only used to connect wires to wires.

The components have the dark red lines coming out of them, the TIP of that red line is where you should attach the wire. I see that in a lot of your components, you put the wire on the body of the resistor and put a junction there, but Eagle does not know you want to connect it - it just sees it as a floating wire.

To see what components have the errors, use the move command to move the components around. If the wires are connected, the wire will follow the component. If it was not connected, the wire will just sit there and disconnect.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
To add to what Razor Concepts said, simply moving a component from it's location momentarily and then moving it back can fix connection problems.

Use only vertical and horizontal wires wherever possible. If you try to run wires at odd angles, you will likely have problems - and a messy schematic to boot.

It takes a while to get the hang of junctions. Generally, you don't need to use junctions when connecting wires to components, unless you are connecting two or more wires to a component lead - then you'll need to use a junction.

If you connect another wire to a spot that already has a junction, you'll need to remove the junction and place a new one. Otherwise, the wires won't get connected.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In Display layers, click on Pins to enable them in the schematic. It will help you know where to make the connection(s). Some devices, e.g., diodes with 2 anodes, will require that you connect to both of the pins; although, that might not be obvious unless you have Display Pins enabled.

John

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , fixed almost everything except 3 warnings
what should the ant value be ? can it be any string or does it have to have a certain unit /value ? (dun what to put for the value of the ant)

the other 2 warnings are for the legs of resistor R7 cann't connect wires to this components legs no matter what ? WTF? The wire always overlays the component and never lands on the ends of the legs ahhhhhhhh?

attached is the updated sch file hopefully somebody can explain what is going wrong with the R7 component and how to fix it?

Also when I generate the brd file with the updated sch file I still don't see 2 components the GND and 9volt supply is this suppose to be the case because you still need to design the brd having wholes for these 2 components I.e the positive and negative side of a battery. I guess if not then I guess you could just choose and drill 2 random holes?

Anyway thanks for the help.

Attachments

Last edited:
Your R7 got off the grid and the wires cant snap on to it. Delete R7 and put a new one in.

The "no value" warning is just a warning, it will work fine without a value.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You can re-align components with the grid by holding the Ctrl key down and left-clicking on the part. However, some parts don't have the center marked for a 0.1" grid, which can make the problem vexing.

Deleting/re-adding the part with the grid set to 0.1" should take care of it.

If you really want to add a value to the antenna, 50 Ohms is good. This is a common impedance used for antennas that transmit and receive.

As for the 9v and GND; add either wirepads or connectors, and run wires to the wirepads or connectors.

The symbols are just symbols; they are not physical parts. If you connect an actual part to the symbol, the part will show up on the board, connected to other things that are connected to the symbols.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , thanks when I deleted and then add the component again it worked fine. Is their away to easily tell if a component is off the grid???
How/why does a component get off the grid??

Ok below is the working no error/warnings copy of my sch when I generate the brd file from it.
I don't know how to place stuff or if intersecting lines matter?
Any advice in how I should place my components on the brd file white board??

After I get thru this how much more do I have to do to get my design so I can print it out and test this toner transfer method?

I am wondering is the brd file the file that gets printed out for the toner transfer method or is their another file extension I have to go thru?

Attachments

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I got the components layed out on the white board on the brd file.

I tried to layout the components as close as the schematic sch file looks like. Either way their is simple no way to make this into a plannar graph so some of the componnents lines are intersecting, I don't know how to fix this or if it needs to be fixed???

Anyway what is the next step after laying out all the components in the way you want them on the white board?

Attached is my brd file

I don't know how to proceed now????

Attachments

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, the ratsnest button cleared up the wire issue so now I have this with no wires that shouldn't be intersecting.

But what controls how close the components are together and how big the components wholes should be. And how big the board is going to be / how big the board is going to print off as? I don't even no what to set these at even if I did know where to set these at? How thick /color of the wires (where do you go for this??)

I would think after all this is done then you would be ready for the toner transfer.
Thanks for any help I am kind of reading/trying stuff out in the dark never used anything like this before.

Thanks for help

Attachments

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ya I just finished the read I am good with everything up until the when they start talking about different layers and gerber files?

I mean I get how to do it if I am sending away my 7 layer design to a fabrication company.

But I want to just beable to create a design so I can print it off on my laser printer on gloss paper so I can etch my own pcb boards by ironing it onto a copper clad board. I would think that I only need 2 different colors black for all the unrouted wires/holes?

I only have a black and white laser printer so. So I am unsure how to proceed? How thick I should make the lines black ,...etc

Should I use auto route.
And I don't want/need all these layers I just need black to cover the traces on the copper so the acid doesn't eat away the copper for the wires. Maybe in manufactoring factories they need all these layers but I don't.

Thanks
This was the thing you gave me to read
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=109

They are not geared to make their own boards they just send their 7 layers to a fab company.
don't want this only want to etch myself with toner method.
Hopefully egale can do this as well just need to black and white one layer.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Use around 0.016" to 0.024" for the traces. Try to keep your layout pretty compact. Long runs in RF circuits are not a good thing.

You must route all of the "air wires" before you can consider actually doing a toner transfer.