eagle software ?

Color does not matter.

The tutorial shows you how the auto routing is done.

After you are done routing, there is a button on the left toolbar called "Show/hide layers". Click "none" to disable all layers, and then select "Bottom", "Pads", "Vias", and "Dimension". Click OK. That should leave you with all the traces on the bottom side of the board. Go to file print and it's done!

Note that all the traces must be on the bottom layer. You must set the autorouter so that it does not route on the top layer.

If it helps, I have attached the routed board file.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I auto routed the unrouted wires "air wires" .
But some of them are in blue the others are in marron/red.
I looked up in the display that marron/red is top layer and bottom layer is blue.

Should I just make both the top/bottom into black will this put them on the same level when I print off. I am just really shaky on the layer stuff?
Since I don't need all this layer crap....

Things I don't know what values for
don't know what I should set the size of the grid to it is on 0.05 inch?
don't know what to set the hole size to and how?
I am looking under options--> setting --> drill tab and it say's 80mils for diameter and 1mil for width??? Is this the setting for the hole size. If so what should I change it to?

don't know how to set how big the board is going to be? I only know how to set how fine it is going to be I would like to beable to specify it is going to by 3inches by 5inches the big white square ?

I know how to set the wires thickness but don't know how thick I should make it in the properties???

These questions are partly because I have no frame of reference into hoe big each thing should be i.e what the standard size are for a circuit board or computer mobo design ,....etc etc

I am going to change the wire colors all to black but do I need to put them all on the same layer like top layer as well?

I just tried printing it out and it printed so dam small in the center of my gloss paper as well as it printed all the labels ,...etc ??? WTF

Ok thanks for clearing this stuff up I am almost their .......

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ok , I auto routed the unrouted wires "air wires" .
But some of them are in blue the others are in marron/red.
I looked up in the display that marron/red is top layer and bottom layer is blue.
You obviously did not follow Razor Concepts' instructions to not allow routing on the top layer.

Since you didn't follow instructions, you will have to rip up all of the routing, and then follow Razor Concepts' instruction about disabling routing on the top layer.

Should I just make both the top/bottom into black will this put them on the same level when I print off. I am just really shaky on the layer stuff?
Since I don't need all this layer crap....
If you do that, I guarantee that you will have problems.

Things I don't know what values for
don't know what I should set the size of the grid to it is on 0.05 inch?
I usually keep the grid set to 0.1" unless I'm having to re-align parts that don't fall directly on the grid.

don't know what to set the hole size to and how?
The hole sizes should be already defined in the parts.

don't know how to set how big the board is going to be? I only know how to set how fine it is going to be I would like to beable to specify it is going to by 3inches by 5inches the big white square ?
You can drag the edges of the board around.

However, you will be limited to 3" by 4", as you have an unregistered "freeware" copy.

I know how to set the wires thickness but don't know how thick I should make it in the properties???
If you set the thickness before routing, it will use the last thickness set.

I am going to change the wire colors all to black but do I need to put them all on the same layer like top layer as well?
Don't do that. Rip up all the traces, and start over with the top layer set to not route.

I just tried printing it out and it printed so dam small in the center of my gloss paper as well as it printed all the labels ,...etc ??? WTF
You must like wasting gloss paper.

Use plain paper until you're pretty certain it's going to be right.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Wait are you saying that I have to redo this hole fing thing.

I don't get what this is about
Color does not matter.

The tutorial shows you how the auto routing is done.

After you are done routing, there is a button on the left toolbar called "Show/hide layers". Click "none" to disable all layers, and then select "Bottom", "Pads", "Vias", and "Dimension". Click OK. That should leave you with all the traces on the bottom side of the board. Go to file print and it's done!

Note that all the traces must be on the bottom layer. You must set the autorouter so that it does not route on the top layer.

If it helps, I have attached the routed board file.
Why cann't I click on each of the wires and just change them to bottom layer in the properties. I don't even see any button that turns off all layers. I see an eye button but that doesn't do anything. I looked under edit but their is nothing their.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you would have read the tutorial and followed along with it, you would not be making such tragic errors.

At least you will get experience using the "ripup" command.

If you don't rip up ALL traces in both the top and bottom layers, the autorouter may not be able to find a route for (a) wire(s), due to some already existing routing getting in the way.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I ripped up all the wires it is back to the "air wires" ( I thought I had to replot the wires the ripup just rips up all the layers back to the air wires good easy fix thanks )

Now how the hell do I set all the layers off I just don't know how to do it their is no button here?
I have changed the grid to 0.1 like you said in previous posts.
I haven't change any color or wire thickness settings yet or that layer off settings.
Need help with this stuff. Cann't find the button???

After this is all taken care of can I just push the auto (for the auto route and then just print the design off for etching?)

Last edited:
If you click the autoroute button, there are options for top and bottom with drop-down menus. Click open the drop down menu for the top layer, and select "N/A", which will instruct Eagle not to route anything on the top layer.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Is this all I do and click ok and let it auto route or do I have to set something else I have the top layer set to N/A and am currently waiting to click ok. Is their anything more I have to set before auto routing?

Is their away to set the auto route to route all in black and the thickness of the wire etc etc so I don't have to do this manually?

Waiting for your reply
thanks

Curious why the top layer N/A is important ? Is their any other thing I have to do before I push this button I don't want to do it all over again I just want to have my design printable AHHHHHHHHHH

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is this all I do and click ok and let it auto route or do I have to set something else I have the top layer set to N/A and am currently waiting to click ok. Is their anything more I have to set before auto routing?
Did you set the bottom layer so that it can route in all directions? If not, you will need to do so.

Is their away to set the auto route to route all in black and the thickness of the wire etc etc so I don't have to do this manually?
It will route in blue, which is the default color of the bottom layer. I suggest that you don't change it.

You don't print directly from the board editor. You use the CAM processor.

I don't remember what the autoroute settings are; I haven't used the autoroute function in several years. I opted to not pay the extra $400 for the autorouting module.

Curious why the top layer N/A is important?
If you don't set it to N/A, the autorouter will put traces on the top layer.

Usually, you'd set the bottom to route east-west and the top to route north-south, or vice versa. But if you want only a single-layer board, you have to allow it to route any way it can.
Is their any other thing I have to do before I push this button I don't want to do it all over again I just want to have my design printable AHHHHHHHHHH
You might have to experience a few more disasters before you get something useable.

Why don't you do a screen print, save it as a .PNG and post it so those who don't have the latest Eagle installed can see it?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , here are 2 screen shots one is with the display box up.
I think this is where somebody wanted me to turn off some layers which ones should be off and which ones should be on their are tons of them?

The second screen shot has the auto route box up you can see I have it selected the top to be N/A as somebody said to do but I have not executed it yet is their anymore things I have to do before I hit this button?

One thing I can think of is somewhere I should beable to set the line thickness instead of manual doing it after the auto routing has taken place?

Also I only have a laser printer that prints black and white so hopefully it will print the colored lines in black. (this is why I original wanted to change the line colors all to black)

With all that said and done. What do I do next after all this do I hit the cam button? The tutorial had nothing to do with the cam they only used the 7 layers and zipped them into a file and sent them to the fab house....

Thanks for any explaination on what the cam does and how much more steps/ settings I need to set before I have a printable circuit board design that I can print off.

Is their anything after sch --->brd --->cam after cam (is cam the final step )

Thanks for any help you all have been great.
This is definitely a learning experience for me.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ok , here are 2 screen shots one is with the display box up.
I think this is where somebody wanted me to turn off some layers which ones should be off and which ones should be on their are tons of them?
Leave the display layers alone until you're ready to produce output.

The second screen shot has the auto route box up you can see I have it selected the top to be N/A as somebody said to do but I have not executed it yet is their anymore things I have to do before I hit this button?
Yes, your components are WAY too far apart! They need to be much closer together. This is an RF transmitter, and your trace routes need to be very short.

Good, you have the top set to N/A.
Check the selections on the bottom layer, right now you just have east-west routing selected. I think there's an option that allows routing any direction. Like I said, I don't have the autorouter activated in mine, so I can't check it for options.

One thing I can think of is somewhere I should beable to set the line thickness instead of manual doing it after the auto routing has taken place?
Well, start the manual route, and select a line width.
Like I say, I can't check that option.

If you don't like the width used, you can change it later.

Also I only have a laser printer that prints black and white so hopefully it will print the colored lines in black. (this is why I original wanted to change the line colors all to black)
You don't print directly from Eagle. You use the CAM processor. You have to print the bottom layer out mirror-image.

With all that said and done. What do I do next after all this do I hit the cam button? The tutorial had nothing to do with the cam they only used the 7 layers and zipped them into a file and sent them to the fab house....

Thanks for any explaination on what the cam does and how much more steps/ settings I need to set before I have a printable circuit board design that I can print off.

Is their anything after sch --->brd --->cam after cam (is cam the final step )

Thanks for any help you all have been great.
This is definitely a learning experience for me.
I'll have to go back through it; haven't printed a board in a while.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Check the selections on the bottom layer, right now you just have east-west routing selected. I think there's an option that allows routing any direction. Like I said, I don't have the autorouter activated in mine, so I can't check it for options.
Here is another screen shot is the * the any direction that you want me to select ???? dun what the / \ | - * mean curious???

Leave the display layers alone until you're ready to produce output.
If I do that then the layer would still be their correct ? dun somebody pervious told me to shut something off in the display/layer off button.
Note once I push the auto route button thats it it will draw all the colored lines so if their is anything I am forgetting speak now?

Yes, your components are WAY too far apart! They need to be much closer together. This is an RF transmitter, and your trace routes need to be very short.
As for this I have really no idea on how big or small apart it is going to be.
0.1inchs doesn't seem to far apart so a few 5 squares would be about 1/2 inch. How small do I want each to be placed ??? How small in boxes 1 ,2,3, ... what???

After all this is answered and I have increased the lines thickness to what I want.
Then how much more stuff do I do to get my final print out for the toner transfer ????

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here is another screen shot is the * the any direction that you want me to select ???? dun what the / \ | - * mean curious???
Use the asterisk (*)
/ = route diagonally as shown
\ = route diagonally as shown
| = route vertically
- = route horizontally
* = route any which way

If I do that then the layer would still be their correct ? dun somebody pervious told me to shut something off in the display/layer off button.
You don't monkey with the layers until it's time to get some output.
Note once I push the auto route button thats it it will draw all the colored lines so if their is anything I am forgetting speak now?
That's it, except get your parts closer together.

0.1inchs doesn't seem to far apart so a few 5 squares would be about 1/2 inch. How small do I want each to be placed ??? How small in boxes 1 ,2,3, ... what???
You want to get them very close together, but not overlapping. You want the traces to be as short as possible.

Also, you have not placed wire pads for +9v and GND, so you will not have a convenient place to connect power.

Look in Wirepad.lbr. Drop a couple of large wire pads into your schematic, change their reference designators aka NAMES (on the toolbar, click on the resistor with R2 highlighted) to +9V and GND

After all this is answered and I have increased the lines thickness to what I want.
Then how much more stuff do I do to get my final print out for the toner transfer ????
You may have to go through a few more things.

You need to have patience, and go one step at a time. You are trying to do your first project; and it's always hard the first time through. It will be easier the next time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Use the asterisk (*)
/ = route diagonally as shown
\ = route diagonally as shown
| = route vertically
- = route horizontally
* = route any which way

You don't monkey with the layers until it's time to get some output.
That's it, except get your parts closer together.

You want to get them very close together, but not overlapping. You want the traces to be as short as possible.

Also, you have not placed wire pads for +9v and GND, so you will not have a convenient place to connect power.

Look in Wirepad.lbr. Drop a couple of large wire pads into your schematic, change their reference designators aka NAMES (on the toolbar, click on the resistor with R2 highlighted) to +9V and GND

You may have to go through a few more things.

You need to have patience, and go one step at a time. You are trying to do your first project; and it's always hard the first time through. It will be easier the next time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here's the same basic circuit, but I used some different sized parts than you did.

I wasn't seriously considering building this; it was just for an example.

See the attached. The board is 1.2" x 2.4".

The mounting holes came from holes.lbr
The wire pads came from wirepad.lbr - I changed their NAME field to reflect their function on the board. The VALUE field doesn't show on the board side.

I used the Polygon tool to draw a box around the edge of the board, using a .01" trace, changed Isolate to 0.024", changed the polygon's name to GND, and clicked ratsnest for it to perform a copper pour. This provides a ground plane, and also saves your etching solution. You must NOT leave the trace set to less than .01" for the polygon tool, or you will produce a HUGE output file.

Attachments

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I went to the library --> open or use Wirepad.lbr but I don't know how to get wirepads for GnD and 9volt?????

Anyway attached is a picture of my condensed version.
I wanted to keep it relatively the same as the schematic design (i.e where the components are placed relative to one another)

Are the components close enough (taking into account I want to have no trouble in soldering the components and drilling the hole ) this is my first time so I don't know how close is to close? I am going to keep it like this unless otherwise specified.

Please let me know on how to do the wirepads and screws.
Also is their away later to have the gray texted also print so I can remember what resistor goes where more easier.
Also I quick approximated the how close the components are no components are more then a 1 inch and 1/2 a part
So 1.5 by 1.5 at most but maybe this is to close for soldering doesn't look it though from pic
Allthough I haven't factored in wirepads or screws yet.

Waiting on your reply and after this what to do next?
I looked quickly at the cam options their are tons so I am lost here?
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ok , I went to the library --> open or use Wirepad.lbr but I don't know how to get wirepads for GnD and 9volt?????
Just like you would add any other part.
Click the "Add" icon.
Expand the wirepad library by clicking the [+] to the left of the name.
Select a pad of the size you want.
Drop as many as you need in your schematic.
Change the NAME field as appropriate; eg: "+9V", "GND"
Connect the wire pads to your schematic.

Anyway attached is a picture of my condensed version.
I wanted to keep it relatively the same as the schematic design (i.e where the components are placed relative to one another)
Better, but there is still too much space between the parts.
Look at how close together the parts are in my board layout.

Are the components close enough (taking into account I want to have no trouble in soldering the components and drilling the hole ) this is my first time so I don't know how close is to close? I am going to keep it like this unless otherwise specified.
In the case of low-speed signals, length of the traces doesn't matter too much.

However, this is an RF board. Lengths of wires and traces becomes much more critical at high frequencies. This is due to the inductance of the traces and connecting wires.
Please let me know on how to do the wirepads and screws.
You do the holes the same way as the wirepads, except the mounting holes don't have to be connected to anything.
Also is their away later to have the gray texted also print so I can remember what resistor goes where more easier.
You don't want the text printed when you go to make your transfer.

You DO want it printed when you do your board reference layout.

If the board were going to be made by a board house, you could have them print the text layer right on the board, but you really can't do that at home. The print would likely short out the traces in several places.

Oh, your board is now quite a bit too large.

Make it smaller vertically by grabbing the top border in the center, and dragging it towards the bottom of the screen. Make sure you keep it rectangular in shape.
Make it smaller horizontally by grabbing the right border in the center, and dragging it towards the left.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , so how big should I make the wirepads is 1 6/0,8 through hole pads good or bigger for the wirepads?

And what thickness should I keep the trace wires at?

I am currently moving the components closer. I don't think I can move them any closer without overlapping the components shapes which I would think would be bad since then the components themselfs won't fit together?

Take a look see if this is ok.

I am about ready to execute the autoroute and line thickness stuff After this which is a one button click I don't know what to do next?

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ok , so how big should I make the wirepads is 1 6/0,8 through hole pads good or bigger for the wirepads?
Those are tiny. Did you see how large my wirepads are by comparison?
I used 3.81-1.3 pads. Those will be much stronger physically. You want wire pads to be fairly rugged.

And what thickness should I keep the trace wires at?
Didn't we already go over that? Thickness, isolation, etc?

I am currently moving the components closer. I don't think I can move them any closer without overlapping the components shapes which I would think would be bad since then the components themselves won't fit together?

Take a look see if this is ok.
Notice that your resistors have their pads 0.2" apart. If you're planning on using 1/10 Watt resistors, that might be OK. If you are using 1/4 Watt resistors, you may have problems. Check to see how much distance between the holes your resistors require.

After you do that, check to make certain that the rest of the actual parts you are planning on using will fit in the space provided.

I am about ready to execute the autoroute and line thickness stuff After this which is a one button click I don't know what to do next?[/QUOTE]