Eagle Library Problem. How to know which lib will have the needed component?

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I can't find help from Google or the search here so I guess I'm the only person in the world having this problem :)

I want to add a voltmeter to the schematic.
Has anyone made a database that can be searched to find a component?
That tells you which library to load (use)?

This is just one example. As a hobbyist I find the libraries frustrating.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
IMHO the Eagle libraries are organized very badly. I mean, who would look for capacitors in a library called "resistor"?

Bob

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Yes. I found that by accident today. Glad I noticed. I'm JUST starting with Eagle and can see the learning curve will be longer than for Finale :)

After all the years and sale of this program how can it be so (seemingly) awkward?
Even moving a component's label is a challenge.

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I searched for meter. Just got an error message.
I think the lib has to be 'used' before the search can find the component.
My first problem is to find the correct lib.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Do you want an analog or digital meter? Is there a particular brand? If so, is there a library for that brand? If not, look for libraries for other brands that offer the same device. You can also look in generic libraries for packages and symbols; although, I don't recall ever seeing a voltmeter per se.

My best suggestion it to learn how to make a device. Eventually, you will need to do that anyway. The only important part from the standpoint of making a pcb is the package. Even that is not too important if you are going to solder wire leads to the terminals/pads.

Drawing a new symbol for a voltmeter could be as simple as a circle with a line for the pointer.

If you will put forth some effort and sketch what you want, I will try to help. What version of Eagle are you using?

John