Eagle learning curve

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Having failed to get CADON for Intellicad running in XP, I decided to take the Eagle challenge. It was steep at first, but I have a simple layout to try. Eagle does not produce the pretty schematics that other packages do, but the pcb layout is "slicker than snot on a doorknob". the NPN package I chose was all wrong, but I was given many choices to change it without visiting a library. The entire program is actually as "kludgy" as a 3D mechanical package (running on a UNIX box) that I mastered in the '90's. THAT package stated that the calculator used "Reverse Polish" data entry. It's late, I'll attempt output tomorrow.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Google "Sparkfun Eagle Tutorial", and go through it.
It will help you avoid a number of pitfalls.

Use Erc early, and use it often. If you don't, you'll find yourself starting over with PCB's numerous times.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've used Eagle for a few years now. I started with QCAD, manually drawing components and footprints. Then I moved to KiCad. And it was like coming to heaven. Ready made symbols and footprints. And a neat inbuilt 3D function. But then my standards went up the next step, and I started using Eagle, and PovRay, to visualize my boards. This was like Paradise, to me. ExpressPCB, and the like, are nothing for me, 'cause I'm a Linux dude. :)
Eagle has some steep learning curve, but I've found it to be an excellent tool for me. It has a big components database, and it's quite easy to import new components.

Good luck with your learning, and remember the ERC. :)