e=ir

Debdut

Joined Aug 26, 2011
The wiki page that Bertus gave was somewhat helpful.But my question is different that whether e=ir has a mathematical proof or its just a experimental approximate consequence?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The wiki page that Bertus gave was somewhat helpful.But my question is different that whether e=ir has a mathematical proof or its just a experimental approximate consequence?
Why don't you put a simple circuit together? Get a 9 volt battery, a 1Kohm resistor, and a multimeter. First measure the exact voltage of the battery, and the exact resistance of the resistor. Then connect the resistor to the battery, in series with the multimeter (set in current mode). What current does it show? Then put the resistance and voltage into Ohm's Law (E=IR, or rearranged to get current, I=E/R). What current do you get? Is it close to what your multimeter showed?

Try this with a few different resistors, like 4.7K, 6.8K, etc. Check all of them and see if it's close. What more proof do you need? :D:p

Regards

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
if you follow DerStrom's advise, you should get a linear relationship between V and I for the data you collect. That directly verifies Ohm's Law (as long as you verify it using Ohmic devices :))

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Ah, this guy. I've seen him before on more than one occasion :D

I must say, he's good at what he does, and he sure knows his stuff!
His name is Walter Louin: he used to be a nuclear physicist. I think he left MIT for X-ray Astronomy.

He has a 'moan' at the students on one of the videos over complaining about his method of delivery - I love education.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The Professor at MIT? Beats my argument!

I was going to say E=IR like F=MA
They are fundamental relationships and all you have to do to get them to work is get the units right. But then, I get a headache at the idea of looking up Issac Newton's work and trying to prove F=MA

Better to leave it to the MIT Professor. Saves me all kinds of brain strain.
and a big Thank You to amilton542