E-Book Contributions

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
First off, I want to ask how often the E-book is updated with a new section/chapter/etc. and when the last update was; is this information known by anyone?

I am interested in contributing to the e-book and have read the various links regarding it, even read up on the previous markup used in the book. Is submission as easy as emailing the pages to Dennis?

I was looking at the ToDo list and saw that it said, "Expand coverage of digital memory to include more modern technology in chapter 15, especially optical and magnetic media.", are we talking SRAM, DRAM, FRAM, etc. and their technical implementations(cell makeup/orientation, advantages, disadvantages, etc.)? If so, I wouldn't mind doing a write-up...

Since an author retains copyright, he/she isn't required to have the Design Science License definition if the work was submitted elsewhere by the author, right?

Additionally, is there room for additional volumes? I' thinking a controls section, maybe robotics? Possibly using Gnu Octave...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think the most recent new chapter was written by me, on FSMs. I might be wrong, though.

I think it's as simple as mailing Dennis the material and then it's up within a month or so. The hard part for me was to format my text with the markup language used in the rest of the book.

I 'm not sure what you are asking about the language. I don't know these terms.

Bill Marsden should know more about your questions.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I usually write submissions in the feedback forum. Look at my existing threads I've already posted for examples.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I usually write submissions in the feedback forum. Look at my existing threads I've already posted for examples.
Ah, great! Thanks!

I 'm not sure what you are asking about the language. I don't know these terms.
I was referring to the storage cell, or minimum arrangement of transistors to implement a storage element(1 or 0), basically, the image seen here

Any ideas on the meaning of that TODO?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I was referring to the licensing terms you used.
Ah, sorry... The e-book is published under the Design Science License, and I was wondering whether or not I'd be allowed to repost this contribution(in its entirety) to another site, without displaying the license, since the DSL requires that any copying must be accompanied by a copy of the license... color me curious:D...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The material can be freely reposted, with the license, so other people can repost it from the new location. The AAC book travels freely, it is all over the internet. What make this copy special is this is the place where we can make corrections. It is the reason AAC exists.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The material can be freely reposted, with the license, so other people can repost it from the new location. The AAC book travels freely, it is all over the internet. What make this copy special is this is the place where we can make corrections. It is the reason AAC exists.
I got that, but since the author retains copyright, he/she should be able to repost at his/her discretion, without regard to the DSL, right?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't know, I'm not sure what you are thinking about for sure. Back when I was new to the site I just wrote the ESD section and offered it up.

Thing is, there is a learning curve for markup, which translates text into the files the book uses. Plan on it, if you need help we are here.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Robotics is always a hot topic and control always has margin for further clarification. I, for one, would be eager to read those chapters.

I find myself re-reading my books constantly to "digest" the theory.
Reading control systems books by Dorf, Chen etc always has me return to them to clarify or refresh spots. Maybe we can manage to create a good online quick reference material to satisfy that need.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Anyone know what program this was drawn with?

I think I've got the SubML down pretty much, thanks to Bill's thread here...I've been able to convert a few files to HTML using sed.