Dynamically Double Resistance?

3dOptics

Joined Mar 15, 2009
I have a potentiometer that has a range of 0-70ohms. I have a resistance gauge that measures 0-140ohms. Is there any way I can dynamically double the potentiometer resistance? Thanks.

3dOptics

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Is this for a fuel gauge mod?
Yes. The fuel sending unit on the tractor has a range of 0-70ohms. I thought a reproduction gauge would be the same ohm range but it is 0-140ohms. I could replace the sending unit or find an original gauge that is the correct ohm range, but I was hoping there would be another solution.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Is this gauge connected directly from +12 to grounded rheostat?

Can you measure current at full and empty range of the gauge you will be using?

Or find more specs?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here's one way you could effectively double the pot resistance.
The 70 Ohm pot plus components in the dotted rectangle of the right-hand circuit behave similarly to the 140 Ohm pot in the dotted rectangle of the left-hand circuit. The graphs show that the voltages at points p1 and p2 track each other as the pot resistances are varied from min to max.

Attachments

3dOptics

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Here's one way you could effectively double the pot resistance.
The 70 Ohm pot plus components in the dotted rectangle of the right-hand circuit behave similarly to the 140 Ohm pot in the dotted rectangle of the left-hand circuit. The graphs show that the voltages at points p1 and p2 track each other as the pot resistances are varied from min to max.
Thanks. Where do I hookup the gauge? I built the circuit in CircuitMaker but I can not get it to work correctly.

What simulation software do you use?

Attachments