Dust Extractor Activation

Polarbilly

Joined May 20, 2009
I need to automatically activate a 1hp dust extractor in the following circumstances:

1. Bandsaw on - activate dust extractor - Bandsaw off- switch off dust extractor, preferably with 30 second delay

2. Activation of either of 3 pieces of equipment to switch on/off a common dust extractor

I'm aware that this can be initiated by either current sensing or using Hall effect sensors on the motor.

I am flexible as to whether we use Arduino or Raspberry - or indeed any recommendations would be welcome

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
The problem with all these arrangements is that they assume the power to the devices is switched externally when in reality the start/stop switches are integrated within the devices which is why devices like those linked to in post #2 exist.

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
The problem with all these arrangements is that they assume the power to the devices is switched externally when in reality the start/stop switches are integrated within the devices which is why devices like those linked to in post #2 exist.
Exactly, so each device is likely to already have an "enable" contactor which is pulled in when the start button is pressed and which my contactors/relays can be wired to if the existing ones don't have any spare/auxiliary contacts.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Exactly, so each device is likely to already have an "enable" contactor which is pulled in when the start button is pressed and which my contactors/relays can be wired to if the existing ones don't have any spare/auxiliary contacts.
I've never seen this "enable contactor" control on any workshop equipment and it doesn't appear in you diagrams.

If you're suggesting hardwiring into the equipment then this addresses your question in Post#3. Bear in mind that not all power tools that require dust extraction are fixed installations, e.g. handheld saws, routers, sanders, planers cannot be hacked in order to get at the switches.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Last edited:

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
The OP hasn't stipulated that he's talking in regards to hand tools. In fact, he suggested even installing hall effect sensors on the motors and incorporating an Arduino or raspberry PI so I'm guessing he's partial to a little re-wiring and bodging.