Dust effect on internet connection

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Inside or outside? Even if the wireless had to cut through the dust outside, I have trouble believing it would radically affect the signal. I've been wrong before, but dust is not metallic, and while it is optically thick, it isn't that dense overall. RF shouldn't have that much trouble with it, unless you are on the fringe of the routers range.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Is that smog from manufactoring and tall buildings.
That will affect wi-fi and you have to have users on line. .

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The URL for the picture suggests a sandstorm:

http://
lh6.ggpht.com/_g4jfQ9COILQ/SjtOOgLYZZI/AAAAAAAAHrE/EpDcI6JBgAk/Saudi_Arabia_Sandstorm9%5B2%5D.jpg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Reading through the articles, they mostly talk about 35Gig, not 3Gig. Those frequencies are in the K band, not 2.5 gig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

Most WiFi setups I've ever dealt with were indoors, either home or hotel. I haven't had a lot of experience with outdoor uses. With indoor setups the outside weather should have no effect what so ever.

The highest freq is 5 gig, but as far as I can tell 2.5 Gig is the norm.

2.5 Gig used to be used by the 10' dishes, as well as being the land line frequency of choice used by long distance telephone carriers way back when. The technologies were very similar, even interchangeable in many cases. While rain had a major adverse effect, the signal still got through better than K Band systems and modern satellite setups.

2.5 Gig is also very close to the freq used by microwave ovens. Not pertinent, but interesting. The microwaves do heat the water nicely.

The 3G and 4G systems are basically modified cell phone setups as far as I know. I don't know their frequency ranges, but they are only slightly longer than short range setups, as cells are meant to be very close and overlapping to work. Their range is, what?, 1 mile or so?

I guess I would have to ask the OP what kind of systems is he talking about. Most modern broadband systems use FIOS or standard telephone wires (as in DSL) to get to point of use, then is disseminated wirelessly from there. I don't know anything about the city wide systems I've been reading about.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have a home in a rural area and Internet is difficult to get. At first, I though that 3G and 4G had something to do with the frequency (I really don't keep up on cell phone technology, nor do I use a cell phone). Then I learned it was only a promotional gimmick to refer to the 3rd and 4th generation. Unfortunately, even at 1 GHz, trees interfere. That is a problem as my farm is surrounded by woods. However, above 3 GHz, you are into radar frequencies where dust storms as in the Middle East interfere (see the third reference I gave). I was thinking more of interference with the satellite downlink than of interference with a LAN.

John

Black-Bird

Joined Jan 26, 2011
No,this is a sandstorm and believe me you don't want to get caught up in a sandstorm .

Inside or outside? Even if the wireless had to cut through the dust outside, I have trouble believing it would radically affect the signal. I've been wrong before, but dust is not metallic, and while it is optically thick, it isn't that dense overall. RF shouldn't have that much trouble with it, unless you are on the fringe of the routers range.
Today we had a very bad sandstorm and I think it might had an effect on my internet connection ,I assume the atoms consisting the dust particles can absorb the RF waves thus reducing its power

Last edited by a moderator:

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I have a home in a rural area and Internet is difficult to get. At first, I though that 3G and 4G had something to do with the frequency (I really don't keep up on cell phone technology, nor do I use a cell phone). Then I learned it was only a promotional gimmick to refer to the 3rd and 4th generation. Unfortunately, even at 1 GHz, trees interfere. That is a problem as my farm is surrounded by woods. However, above 3 GHz, you are into radar frequencies where dust storms as in the Middle East interfere (see the third reference I gave). I was thinking more of interference with the satellite downlink than of interference with a LAN.

John

hi, jpanhalt are you trying to do some thing in satellites, if you want to ask some question about it, check this.

http://www.dishtracking.com/forum/index.php

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No,this is a sandstorm and believe me you don't want to get caught up in a sandstorm .

Today we had a very bad sandstorm and I think it might had an effect on my internet connection ,I assume the atoms consisting the dust particles can absorb the RF waves thus reducing its power
Only if you are getting your internet via satellite. Fiber optic would be immune, but as John pointed out, we don't know how your internet is being delivered.

Black-Bird

Joined Jan 26, 2011
Only if you are getting your internet via satellite. Fiber optic would be immune, but as John pointed out, we don't know how your internet is being delivered.
Wireless , the router is in the room next to where am sitting and the router is positioned outside the window (on the edge of the window) so it gets hit constantly but dust particles

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is the local delivery, I'm referring to how it is delivered to the house. Again, unless your wireless router is being buried or outside I doubt it would have any effect. The RF wireless signal is line of site, if there isn't anything extra between the antenna and the computer in question (or nothing new) then there would be no change.

If the wireless router is being filled with dust then components could be overheating for lack of air flow, which is what I suggested in my first post. If it is full of dust and grit you need to clean it out, but that is not an RF problem, it is equipment being abused (you never let something like a computer fill with dust). This relates to another thread referring to preventative maintenance, you can do basic maintenance or let the equipment die and buy new every year or so.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think he is talking about a dust storm like in Flight of the Phoenix with James Stewart -- a great movie (IMHO). Oklahoma during the Depression was like that, but they didn't have Internet then.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We get a storm like that in Texas every decade or so. Pain in the posterior it is. While the house gets dusty, the dust inside isn't anything like it is outside. I can see it killing equipment, but not degrading RF by itself. It just isn't that dense.

When it happens the standard joke is "Here comes Oklahoma".

My roots are from Oklahoma. Never heard the stories from my family, but I remember watching documentaries where the dust was killing people, or permanently crippling them, by filling their lungs with the dust.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We get a storm like that in Texas every decade or so. Pain in the posterior it is. While the house gets dusty, the dust inside isn't anything like it is outside. I can see it killing equipment, but not degrading RF by itself. It just isn't that dense.

When it happens the standard joke is "Here comes Oklahoma".

My roots are from Oklahoma. Never heard the stories from my family, but I remember watching documentaries where the dust was killing people, or permanently crippling them, by filling their lungs with the dust.
My dad was an okie and grew up in Purcell. He served in the Pacific and just never made it back there -- wonder why. He was a bright guy.

John