Duracell Mygrid

lendo1

Joined Apr 24, 2010
I saw a commercial for this cool product, but it didn't mention any of the science behind it. Basically, it is a grid that charges multiple phones/ other DC wireless devices without them being plugged in. So how exactly does it work?

I would think they're pretty idiot proof. You just have to place your device (in its inductive cradle) on the charging mat. My guess is it's convenient but not energy efficient.

lendo1

Joined Apr 24, 2010
It seems like the grid would interfere with the other functions of the device... And wouldn't wouldn't the charging depend on the orientation of the device ???

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
This is the same principle my electrical Oral B 3D (or something) tooth brush is charging, I guess. Not really new technology. But who said anything about that.:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@spinnaker

My thoughts exactly. Now, if it had flashing LEDs and a laser, I might buy it.

In a practical sense, MyGrid has one cord and a bunch of device holders (expense). You can lose or misplace the holders. Efficiency has not been defined here.

The alternative has several cords, but no holders. The chargers are generally included in the price of the device that uses them. Something plugged into the wall constantly reminds me where it is, because I trip on it or have to clean around it.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
@spinnaker

My thoughts exactly. Now, if it had flashing LEDs and a laser, I might buy it.

John

My thoughts EXACTLY! ;)

Get the marketing people on the line!

Seriously though, you know what it is.. Its more of a proof-of-concept to the consumers.

Let them know its possible, then start putting the coils IN the devices.. OR start selling batteries with the coils installed.

Thats what this is.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Does this think use inductive charging? It looks to me like it has alternating strips. Lay the device on the pad and it makes a connection between on o the two strips and charge the device.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Disadvantages....
One disadvantage of inductive charging is its lower efficiency and increased ohmic (resistive) heating in comparison to direct contact. Implementations using lower frequencies or older drive technologies charge more slowly and generate heat for most portable electronics;[citation needed] the technology is nonetheless commonly used in some electric toothbrushes and wet/dry electric shavers, partly for the advantage that the battery contacts can be completely sealed to prevent exposure to water. Inductive charging also requires drive electronics and coils that increase manufacturing complexity and cost.[1][2]
Newer approaches diminish the transfer losses with ultra thin coils, higher frequencies and optimized drive electronics, thus providing chargers and receivers that are compact, more efficient and can be integrated into mobile devices or batteries with minimal change.[3][5] These technologies provide charging time that are the same as wired approaches and are finding their way into mobile devices rapidly. The Magne Charge system employed high-frequency induction to deliver high power at an efficiency of 86% (6.6 kW power delivery from a 7.68 kW power

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Does this think use inductive charging? It looks to me like it has alternating strips. Lay the device on the pad and it makes a connection between on o the two strips and charge the device.
Good question considering the output is DC.

From the Duracell MYGRID site:
Ensure that the device is resting flatly on myGrid. Charging will not occur if the device being charged is in a tipped position and proper contact is not made.
It must pulse every other strip positive / negative repeatedly.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I was beginning to consider buying one of the mygrid pads. That is until I realized that the Duracell unit is not inductive. If you look closely at the back of one of the adapters that need to be installed on the device being charged, you will notice that there are 4 small contacts. These small contacts are arranged geometrically so that they will come into contact with two of the grid pads. That is why they specifically caution that the pad needs to be clean and free of dust, dirt, or other contamination. These would compromise the contact between the grid and these small contacts.

Now the Energizer unit is clearly inductive in nature. The adaptors that are installed on the devices being charged have no such terminals. It is even referred to as an inductive charger. I am now looking at possibly acquiring one of the Energizer pads. I have written off the Duracell MyGrid pad as bogus.

hgmjr

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
takao21203 Off-Topic 8
S Power Electronics 0