dual temperature sensor kit DS18S20

Jules3084

Joined Oct 17, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking to build a dual temperature kit using the DS18S20 devices.
Is electronics-diy.com an ok place to buy such a kit?
There forum hasn't been written to since 2010...

I couldn't find any other places that have the kit with a programmed PIC and an LCD for low battery consumption.

Thanks

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Would it not be more easy to get one of those cheap thermometers. Or even better a PICKIT programmers some sensors, a lcd, and a PIC. Then start programming. We can help you with the project then you are stuck

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to build a dual temperature kit using the DS18S20 devices.
Is electronics-diy.com an ok place to buy such a kit?
There forum hasn't been written to since 2010...

I couldn't find any other places that have the kit with a programmed PIC and an LCD for low battery consumption.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry too much about the forum; the site itself is updated regularly and is probably legit (although I have never bought anything there.) As t06 says, you could probably do it yourself, but the kit looks pretty good as well, the PCB is designed, and the programming is already done. I can't program PICs (much), but I have done a very similar project using PICAXE μC.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've never dealt with this company, but since the payment is thru PayPal you are protected from bad things with your credit cards.

That's weird, the PIC is an 18 pin device but the schematic only shows 16 pins, but I'm sure it works as they built it and you can buzz that out. Personally I would like an in-circuit serial programming (ICSP) interface, but you can add that later so you can make your own programs on this. You will need to add onto pins 4,12, 14 (plus power & ground) but those look like they left them free.

Jules3084

Joined Oct 17, 2012
Thank you! Some good facts and opinions have been suggested.

Even though I am without the experience, the in-circuit serial programming (ICSP) interface would certainly be useful. There is mention of adding code "soon" to their kit (or a new one) for a contact to control, or maybe alarm.

I will also check into a uC. There seem to be many different options with a
project like this. The kit can only do so much, and down the road, I may need more than it can do. Already I can see having an alarm configured to warn of freezing water during one of our many power outages in the winter.

If I think I can put in the time, and with some help, this project could be a nice learning experience