Dual supply using voltage multipliers

microelectronix

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Hi all,

So I have a 12.6-0-12.6 transformer which gives ~+/-16VDC. Can I use voltage multipliers to increase it to +/-32V?

I still need a common connection, as it'll also be connected to the center tap of another transformer. The circuit will draw no more than 100mA (probably closer to 30mA, but 100mA is the high max), and I'll have regulators taking it down to ~+/-20V so ripple isn't too important.

I guess another solution... anyone know a really cheap supplier of transformers so I could just get at least 18-0-18 at 100mA?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should see what your supplies output is under load. If your reading 16v from a 12.6v supply it will probably drop to around 13v loaded. so even if you did double it to 32v, under light loading it would drop to around 26v.

If you were hoping to power a 32v device with this idea, it needs a little more power.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might just ignore the center tap, use one end of the secondary for ground, and use two rectifier diodes to create the positive and negative rails. You'll need larger filter caps, but with a 100mA load, and you're regulating it anyway, it might work OK without a lot of fiddling around.

See the attached.

Attachments