Dual Stator Three Phase Motor - Unknown Configuration (Y/Delta)

rchorley

Joined Jan 28, 2013
I have been given a heart pump which consists of a dual stator, three phase motor. I wasn't given much information about the motor apart from the fact that it has four poles and two stators - one above and one below an internal impeller for blood pumping.

I have been asked to make it spin but I need a controller to do this. Hence I need more information about the motor, i.e. its connection type (Y or delta) as well as matching the top wires with the bottom.

The device has six wires coming from it (black, yellow, green, blue, red, white). I am assuming that because after a continuity test, the black, green, and red wires make up one stator and the yellow, blue and white wires make up the other (as they are connected).

My question is: Is there a way to determine the configuration of the stators and possibly, if I can match up the top to the bottom so I can make it spin?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Are you sure there is no connection between the two groups of three wires?

If there is none, then the winding is probably a Delta config. Notice I say probably. The amount of information you have been able to provide only gives me the ability to 'guess' at the configuration.

A 'Y' config, or STAR winding, would have 4 ends and depending on which wire you measured resistance from would give a reading of 'x', or '2x'.

Just for giggles and to rule out the STAR connection scheme; measure the resistance of the wires to the metal of the motor. Sometimes the 4th wire is connected to the motor itself as a means of grounding it, or creating a 'common'. Unlikely in this case due to the number of wires, but still needs to be checked for.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
is this the product?

http://www.heartware.com.au/IRM/content/usa/products_HVAD.html

The HVADTM Pump has only one moving part, the impeller, which spins at rates between 2,000 and 3,000 revolutions per minute. The impeller is suspended within the pump housing through a combination of passive magnets and a hydrodynamic thrust bearing. This hydrodynamic suspension is achieved by a gentle incline on the upper surfaces of the impeller blades. When the impeller spins, blood flows across these inclined surfaces, creating a "cushion" between the impeller and the pump housing. There are no mechanical bearings or any points of contact between the impeller and the pump housing.

Device reliability is enhanced through the use of dual motor stators with independent drive circuitry, allowing a seamless transition between dual and single stator mode if required. The pump's inflow cannula is integrated with the device itself, ensuring proximity between the heart and the pumping mechanism. This proximity is expected to facilitate ease of implant and to help ensure optimal blood flow characteristics. The use of a wide-bladed impeller and clear flow paths through the system are expected to help minimize risk of pump induced hemolysis (damage to blood cells) or thrombus (blood clotting).

rchorley

Joined Jan 28, 2013
This is it, Yes! The Heartware HVAD.

As for testing the resistance between the motor itself and the other wires, there is absolutely no connection between the metal case and any of the wires.

Also, I am sure that only black red and green are connected as well as only yellow, blue and white are connected.

I think there is going to be some guess work involved this afternoon. Looking at the way the wires are connected to the device itself, I will assume corresponding pairs are: red/white, blue/green and yellow/black (it almost feels like I am diffusing a bomb!).

Do you think it's okay if I try this, connect them together and see what happens? Famous electrical engineer's last words...