Dual Seven Segment Electronic dice 0-6/1-6

Briliiantsam

Joined Feb 23, 2010
Hi, I don't know if this is the best forum to ask for help from but I really desperately need some.

I'm currently doing Electronics GCSE and I'm trying to create two seven segment dice (cathode) using a NE555 IC to create a pulse and two 4026Be to receive it and generate the display. However, I really need to at least get the dice to reset at 7 so the dice only displays the numbers 1-6. Since I have to use circuits in the 4000 series CMOS, I decided to adapt a reset from another student which is only able to display the numbers 0-6 should it work. Unfortunately, the student does not understand the reset circuit completely. My teacher looked at the reset I had adapted and changed some things himself and said it would work. I have created the circuit and yet the reset doesn't work! The Chips I am using for this are two sets of 4049 and 4082 IC's and I really need to find out what I am doing incorrectly. I have a design created in the program "DT Pro Desktop" which shows the basic layout of the circuit. If I am not giving enough information please post and help me if you can.

P.S I'm very sorry but I have also posted this on the project forum. :S

IC's from the top left: 4049, 4082, 4049, 4082
IC's from bottom left: NE555, 4026Be, 4026Be

Attachments

Last edited:

Briliiantsam

Joined Feb 23, 2010
I have finally roughly drawn up the schematic (edit:wiring diagram!!!). I apologise for the poor quality since I had to get my head around it first before I started and the eraser marks aren't exactly helpful. Anyhow, it should make it much easier to see my project. If the values of the resistors and capacitors are necessary then I'm using two 10k resistors and one 47 microfarad capacitor. ;)

I'm also a bit confused when using a logic simulator so I can't really find out what's wrong with my circuit by myself. :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Briliiantsam

Joined Feb 23, 2010
Okay sorry, it's a wiring diagram. :confused: I quickly drew that up because I still really don't understand which logic gates are included in the chips and so far I've just assumed that they contain the ones I need. I feel so incredibly stupid and I don't have time to read the volumes of information on this site to help me. I can't really use an IC like the 74ls14 used in this logic probe probe as I'm restricted to the 4000 series. I have found two images which show the insides of the IC's. If I am correct, I only want to really use one not gate from the 4049 and 1 4-input and gate from the 4082.

www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/.../lab/40_chips/4082.gif

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/quick_circuits_reference/circuits/images/4049.gif