dual opamp socket.

TimB

Joined Apr 9, 2009
Does any body know where I might find for sale ,a piece that kind of looks like a T but has two sets of legs (8 ,4x4). What it is for is what I understand to be a technique for "stacking" opamps...or ic's... They use them in the modifications on effects pedals for guitars and other things Im sure ...I only know them from effects pedal mods. It's like a double socket that sets in the space where one ic/opamp would be and the top is obviously wider and bridges the two op amps together .Has a great effect and add lots of warmth to the pedal . Thanks for any help you can provide .If you know what I refering to maybe you could tell me the proper nam for this piece so I know what to look for when I search for them . Thanks again. TimB

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can you post up some clear photos of the critter?

I'm going to move this to another section where it may get more attention.

I know of a number of techniques for abusing op-amps to get an interesting guitar sound, but I've never heard of paralleling the things, and I can't see how that would work at all. I think the answer comes from welcomb's link - that little PCB adaptor takes a dual op-amp footprint and splits it into two single op-amp footprints. There will be an advantage in reduced crosstalk between the two op-amps, but little else of interest for a guitar amp.

Any change in tone would arise from the replacement single op-amps having quite different characteristics to the original dual op-amp - for instance, replacing a TL072 with two TL071s won't make much difference, but replacing a dual NJM4558 (an old guitarist's favourite) with two TL071s would. Although in the latter case you might as well replace the NJM4558 with a TL072... the real advantage would come from being able to use two different single op-amps, chosen to suit the individual circuit.

TimB

Joined Apr 9, 2009
Keeley and Monte Allums both offer the stacked opamp mod I was previously referring to. There are adapters Allums offers for a kinda high price . I know Keeley and a guy from Griffin effects that actually stack and solder them together and that works Ive done it .You do need to be quick with the soldering iron and accurate LOL . Too much heat and you'll ruin the opamp. The adapters I was looking for are justso keep from possibly ruining opamps ....I also would like to fine the adapter that is used to change a SIL to DIP Thanks Have a good one . Tim B