dsPIC30F2010 programmer help!

alitex

Joined Mar 5, 2007
hi.
i have dsPIC30F2010 and i want to programmer it,i have got programmer circuit and software for it(melab),but i can't programmer it in addition to i can programmer PIC16F84A microcontroller with the same circuit,so what is the problem???,i use other software it's name winpic programmer and i found the same problem,any one can help me!!??
thank you in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

alitex

Joined Mar 5, 2007
The PIC16F84A is an 8-bit uC with 14-bit wide instruction words.
The dsPIC30F2010 is a 16-bit uC with 24-bit wide instruction words.
You need to use a different compiler for the two uCs.

Datasheets for the dsPIC30F2010:
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010329
Review the main datasheet and the Flash Programming Specification.
thank u alot,ok i use mikropascal for dspic but i can't put program in dsPIC30f2010 and i can programming pic16f84a with the same programming circuit,
my question? is there another circuit for dsPIC? or my circuit is correct?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, your programming circuit is not complete; merely a portion of it.

Where did you find it?

The dsPIC does not have RB7 nor RB6, but you would know that if you'd looked in the datasheet. PGC/RF2 is on pin 18, and PGD/RF3 is on pin 17. The Vcc/vdd and Vss/GND pins are in different locations. If you're trying to stuff the dsPIC30F2010 in the same ZIF socket as the PIC16F84A, it's not going to work very well. However, if you're using ICSP, and your board was properly designed, it just might work. You'll have to read the instructions that came with your programmer, see if it's compatible with a dsPIC30F2010, see if your programming software is compatible with a dsPIC30F2010, etc.

But right now, all I see is that single schematic, with wires labeled for pins that don't exist on a dsPIC30F2010.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Neither your compiler nor your programmer will work with the dsPIC chip range. The only software that I'm aware of from Melabs is PICBasic and that only runs on 8 bit PICs (the PIC10/PIC12/PIC16/PIC18 range of chips).

Your programmer is designed for the PIC16F84A chip and little else. It won't even program the full range of 8 bit PICs. It certainly won't program the dsPIC 16 bit chips.

If you go to the Microchip site here you can get a free student version of C that will compile code for dsPIC chips.

As for programmers, take a look at the PICkit2 programmer/debugger from Microchip. Its reasonably cheap and it will do everything that you need to do at this stage.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Disregard my comments about the compiler. I missed your reply in post #3 re Mikropascal however my comments re the programmer still stand. It looks to be a very basic circuit driven by a parallel port and not designed anything other than 8 bit PICs.

mousei

Joined May 8, 2009
Hi list,

I also tried the same hardware circuit on PIC16F877A (LVP) with winpic software, it works fine but not working with dsPIC30F2010. Can anybody suggest me the possible changes in schematic or software to work the same with dsPIC ?