Driving relay with IRF510

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I did remove the led..Shows 12V from the 14001 output..Made the necessary connections with the 100 ohm and the 100k. Shows the same voltage and still doesn't switch the MOSFET...
When you have 12V on the Gate what is your Drain voltage? Also, basing diagrams of transistors are viewed from the bottom. Are you sure you have the FETs based properly?

nathomas

Joined Mar 3, 2011
Are you certain that the presence of +12 volts on the gate - relative to the source - is not turning on the FET? Is the source grounded and the load in the drain circuit? Are you sure of the pinout?

How about a meter check of the FET? You should see a PN junction with the cathode to drain and anode to source, with all other checks open.
What I see is that there is 12V coming out of the 14001 if I do not connect the resistor path to the gate of the FET. Once I connect it I see only 2.5 V at the gate. Why would that happen?

nathomas

Joined Mar 3, 2011
thank you all for helping me out. So here is what I am planning to do.
1. Check if 12V is at the gate relative to source.
2. Check the pin out again to see if I have biased it wrong.
3. If these are alright I will change the MOSFET for a new one.
4. Change the resistor values of the LED to 3.3k.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A Motorola/ONSemi MC14001x is the same as a CD4001x; for some reason Motorola decided to use an 'MC1' prefix to its' 4000 series CMOS IC line.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What I see is that there is 12V coming out of the 14001 if I do not connect the resistor path to the gate of the FET. Once I connect it I see only 2.5 V at the gate. Why would that happen?
Either your FET is shorted, or there is an additional path for current that is pulling the voltage down.