Driving a stepper motor

ABShah

Joined May 17, 2011
Hi, I am working on a very simple and basic project that uses a micro controller 8051 to drive a 0.5 ampere 6 wire stepper motor with a resolution of 7.5 degrees. To drive the motor I have to use a driver UCN5804/. Can any one please help me with the schematics? I can not understand how to interface the driver IC with MC and the stepper motor. I have a very weak knowledge of electronics so please I would like someone to help with an easy schematic and a little bit understandable detail.
I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

ABShah

Joined May 17, 2011
I have one more question. My stepper motor as mentioned earlier has 6 wires.
What must be the power supply provided to it?

Weather AC or DC?

How can I make the requirement power supply on the board on which I already have a MC, crystal, power supply circuit etc.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Your driver takes DC. Not knowing what the motor is being used for it's impossible to tell you what voltage to use. You will need a transformer of the correct voltage and amperage, a bridge rectifier, and a filter capacitor, to supply the driver chip.

The supply voltage is usually 10 to 20 times the motor nameplate voltage. The chip will take up to 35VDC as a supply voltage, so it must stay below that.

The rectifier and capacitor can be mounted on your PCB/bread board.

ABShah

Joined May 17, 2011
I just want to run the motor thats it, I am not going to connect a load to the motor. Can any one provide me with a schematic?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Page 5 of the link gives a schematic of what you need.

You should really do some of your school homework your self! In the days you are waiting for answers, you could have had this project done if you had done some reading of your own. :(

ABShah

Joined May 17, 2011
I am not able to get any help from the college that is why I am writing here. Please reply only if you can help. Otherwise there are thousand other threads that could also be done with "homework", All I am asking is
HOW DO I CONNECT MY 8051 WITH UCN5804 AND WHAT SHOULD I SEND TO THE STEP INPUT. and yet no body is able to answer it. I have tried opening the same thread in other categories, but instead of getting answers it is getting closed.
If I do not get answer after this thread I am going to assume no body I repeat NOBODY in this forum knows the answer.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You were already given the answer you are looking for.

PAGE 5 of the data sheet has the information you are wanting. We will not transcribe it here for you. It is a DATASHEET for your IC, and it contains the schematic of the circuit you are asking us for. Please go to the DATASHEET and LOOK at it.

ABShah

Joined May 17, 2011
I have read the complete data sheet and no where can i find that what should be given at the STEP INPUT pin#11, to continuously rotate the motor. That is why I am asking here.
There is nothing written about what code to be programmed into the MICRO CONTROLLER for the rotation of stepper motor. So now you get it why am i asking on forum

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
In post #3 I told you that a pulse input on pin #11 is used to turn the motor. The faster the pulse frequency the faster the motor turns. Each falling pulse( 5V to 0V) of the MC will move motor one step.

A low(0V) or High(5V) on pin #14 will change direction that motor turns. This is also in post #3.

Page #4 explains how it moves the motor.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
From the progression of step commands, you should be able to write your code.
@Beenthere- This doesn't happen very often:D But he doesn't even have to do the step routine in code. Just provide a 0V to 5V square wave to the driver chip. There are three different stepping modes built into the driver IC.