Driveway Sensor

tptpete

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I have to create a circuit that will sense if a car is "in the driveway" by breaking an IR pair built with an LED driver. Then the pathway is broken, this has to turn power on for the connected mic. This mic is a clapper with 2 claps turns the lights off and 1 clap turns them on. How should I build the logic using up to 2 CD4007 mosfet, and 4 74LS00 chips. Any help would be much appreciated. The "driveway sensor" has been figured out and the clapper I am in the process of getting and I am stumped on incorporating the clapper to turn lights on and off and to turn the mic of if a car is in the driveway. Like I said all help is welcome.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm not an expert in the subject, but that smells like a job for a microprocessor. You could power it up along with the microphone and have it read the volume levels in an infinite loop.
If two peaks are detected within a time period, have it turn the lights off. On one peak, turn them on.

You have a wide variety of microprocessors you could choose, but it all boils down to previous experience and cost.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There may be a need to do some analog amplification on that microphone.

You will have difficulties in mixing 74LSxx and CMOS logic. What does your IR detector look like?

nathanmc

Joined May 18, 2011
Hi there, if you're interested in more information regarding driveway sensors I would highly recommend Absolute Automation. They have DIY easy to install kits but they also carry the Sure Action line of products for the more technical customer. I found their tech. support to also be very knowledgeable on low voltage circuits assisting me in wiring up additional chimes and lights to the Form C relay on my receiver.