Drivers, do drivers need updating?

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@KeithWalker Why do you dislike Win 10?
The ones I couldn't stand were Win 2000, Win 8 and 8.1. I loved everything from win 3.0-Win 98. Win 7 wasn't that bad. I kinda enjoy Win 10 except for the non compatibility with older programs part.
I wish I had a copy of XP or Vista to dual boot on my computer. All the versions I have came with like an Acer or Dell computer and will only install on those machines (Repair disc's) or (Recovery Disc's) is what their called I think.
Brzrkr

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The ones I couldn't stand were Win 2000, Win 8 and 8.1. I loved everything from win 3.0-Win 98. Win 7 wasn't that bad. I kinda enjoy Win 10 except for the non compatibility with older programs part.
I wish I had a copy of XP or Vista to dual boot on my computer. All the versions I have came with like an Acer or Dell computer and will only install on those machines (Repair disc's) or (Recovery Disc's) is what their called I think.
Brzrkr
I use Ubuntu 18.04 as my primary OS.

But there are some programs I have to run under various versions of Windows.

For those, I use Virtualbox running under Ubuntu, and I have virtual machines with images of Win XP, WIn 7, and Win 10.

I can run one or all simultaneously with no conflicts -- no need for dual (or multiple boot).

And, for whatever reason, they all boot and run faster under VB than they do on native hardware.

And this with three monitors, including one 4K UHD monitor and two HD monitors running in portrait mode.

The CPU is Intel I5 with 16GB RAM, two SSDs, and integrated Intel graphics.

It's the only way to fly!

20200531_161351.jpg

The little box in back to the right is the PC.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Brzrkr
I really liked all windows up to Vista. That's when it started to become very difficult to get inside the software to make it do what I wanted to do. I don't like operating systems to tell me that I don't have access to things unless I am the administrator, when I am the administrator and I am denied access. I also like to keep my data directories simple and near the root and not have files automatically saved in other locations that I have to hunt for. Vista was also when Microsoft decided that all computers should be designed specifically for games and entertainment with wide screens that are very inconvenient for viewing documentation. 8.1 was when they introduced very annoying pop-up things that appear if your cursor happens to pass over them. Windows 10 is an enormous operating system full of applications that I and most other people will never have any use for. It is so big and cumbersome that it runs much slower than XP with my relatively small disc and tiny memory. There are many other "features" that I find annoying in 10.
The computer I do most of my design and documentation work on is a 12 year old AMD 2560e, with a 1.6 GHz disk and 900MB of ram. My laptop is a little more recent with Win 8.1 but I am using XP overlay software to make the interface a little more friendly.
Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Damn!!! Nice @KeithWalker.
I also own an Alienware but it's about 8 years old. Don't use it much because it's in my son's bedroom hooked up to a 65 in TV. I mostly post from my laptop that I just move from wherever I'm at. My Toshiba came with 8.0 And it was the worse windows I ever run. I was into gaming once and still have tons of games, plugins, mods and all sorts of stuff for them on my Alienware. My 10 year old tends to do the gaming now (Mostly PS4 and Xbox). Actually he's my great nephew but he's been living with me since he was born....Might as well be my son.
Yeah you use to could get under the hood and pretty much do what you wanted back then. So I understand! Never used Ubuntu or Mac so I don't know anything about them. I learnt on windows so I just stayed with it.
Brzrkr