Drive an LED from Static?

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Anyone know if it would be possible to convert lots and lots of static into a safe low voltage to power an LED?

Slider2732

Joined May 6, 2009
In a general sense ? like scrubbing your feet along carpet and an LED glows ?
I would think so, based on a bridge rectifier, few capacitors and then resistors to the LED's. One key element would be about storing such a large charge quickly and efficiently, to be drained slower by the LED's....something that wouldn't blow up on hitting that massive brick of a charge as it dissipates into the device.

Fun idea. I'll now hand you over to the regulars, who would probably know more. This being my first post lol

Hello Friends,

I read your question and according to me , On bridge rectifier, few capacitors and then resistors to the LED's. One key element would be about storing such a large charge quickly and efficiently, to be drained slower by the LED's....something that wouldn't blow up on hitting that massive brick of a charge as it dissipates into the device

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You simple aren't going to get that much energy off conventional static. I'd be tempted to use a neon bulb though, they are actually more efficient than LEDs, IMO.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hello Friends,

I read your question and according to me , On bridge rectifier, few capacitors and then resistors to the LED's. One key element would be about storing such a large charge quickly and efficiently, to be drained slower by the LED's....something that wouldn't blow up on hitting that massive brick of a charge as it dissipates into the device
What's the point of slightly paraphrasing a previous post?

kakin

Joined Mar 24, 2009
maybe using some kind of transformer/coil to step down the voltage enough to store in a capacitor. I've heard of pulse transformers so maybe that could be used, but i have no experience with them.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The process of discharge into a capacitor needs no conversion. All the electrons are captured (though they might leak off, which is what usually happens to a static charge). The more you try to manupulate such a low power source, the greater your losses.

Lightning is the exception to the rule, but it is so chaotic that anyone would have a lot of trouble harvesting it. That and it is also a case of power being too concentrated.