Dremel tool problem

uriahsky

Joined Apr 27, 2009
I have a Dremel Stylus, which is a great tool, but the battery leaked and distroyed the main pcb. I thought i would try wiring it up to a DC power supply but when I did at 9VDC with a 5 amp bench supply the tool was always too weak to do anything. Why can't i get any torque out of the tool? The voltage is the same as the battery and it only shows it pulling about 1 amp before stalling so I know i have the current. What am I missing?
Thanks
Russ

Sue_AF6LJ

Joined Mar 16, 2013
what size wire are you using from the tool to the power supply?
And yes 12V would be better...
Also remember that a loaded motor draws quite a bit more current.

uriahsky

Joined Apr 27, 2009
what size wire are you using from the tool to the power supply?
And yes 12V would be better...
Also remember that a loaded motor draws quite a bit more current.
I am using 12 gauge test leads and I will try it at 12 volts but the batteries were 4.2 volt X2.

I watched the current draw on the bench PS and it only pulled about 1 am before stalling.

I will try moving the voltage up when it stalls but that doesn't sound right. I can't really do that when using the tool and batteries don't do that in real life? You can't get 12volts out of a 9 volt battery can you?
Thanks very much,
Russ

Sue_AF6LJ

Joined Mar 16, 2013
I am using 12 gauge test leads and I will try it at 12 volts but the batteries were 4.2 volt X2.

I watched the current draw on the bench PS and it only pulled about 1 am before stalling.

I will try moving the voltage up when it stalls but that doesn't sound right. I can't really do that when using the tool and batteries don't do that in real life? You can't get 12volts out of a 9 volt battery can you?
Thanks very much,
Russ
I didn't know what you had for batteries...
12V may be too much.