Drawing electronics equipment

633squadron

Joined Nov 28, 2008
This is about drawing tools for electronics, but in a different direction.

I'm looking for tools or templates that would help me draw ports, connectors and sockets for computers and audio/visual equipment. For example, if you read the documentation for a computer, you (may) see a diagram/illustration that shows you the different ports for connecting the monitor, the keyboard, and so forth. I'd like to have software that could do diagrams like that without having to do the whole thing by hand in Adobe Illustrator or something like that.

I have Illustrator CS3 and Visio 2007. Visio doesn't come with stencils that do this.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You should be able to get a mechanical CAD program to do that. At one time, I had a freebie version of Orcad. Any freeware mechanical CAD program will let you do that.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
This is about drawing tools for electronics, but in a different direction.

I'm looking for tools or templates that would help me draw ports, connectors and sockets for computers and audio/visual equipment. For example, if you read the documentation for a computer, you (may) see a diagram/illustration that shows you the different ports for connecting the monitor, the keyboard, and so forth. I'd like to have software that could do diagrams like that without having to do the whole thing by hand in Adobe Illustrator or something like that.

I have Illustrator CS3 and Visio 2007. Visio doesn't come with stencils that do this.
Two great programs for this. ICAP4 by Intusoft (free eval demo available) is great for drawing AND modeling circuits. Another one, if one is a linux guy/guyette, is Xcircuit.

eric

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you are using windows, Tinycad is a good option.
http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/

Welcome to the TinyCAD home page

TinyCAD is a program to help you draw circuit diagrams. It comes complete with symbol libraries to get you started straight away. As well as being able to simply print your designs, you can use TinyCAD to publish your drawings by copying and pasting into a Word document, or saving as a PNG bitmap for the web.
You can use TinyCAD as a front end to a PCB layout program (see the links), by getting TinyCAD to create a netlist of your circuit.
TinyCAD is fully open-source so you can use it for free and you can download the source code for use in your own projects.

Greetings,
Bertus