DPDT 120v Coil Relay wiring questions

rescueweasel

Joined Aug 29, 2014
I'm adding a laser to my CNC router and posted a tread quite a long time ago trying to figure a way to set it up. Numerous people suggested a DPDT coil relay and I finally ordered it and now I'm not quite sure how to wire it up.

The basic system is a 120v AC to 12v DC power supply that runs to the Laser Module. This is the lasers main power source. The laser then has a "Trigger wire" That when it receives 12v DC positive it turns on the laser. My CNC router has a software controlled outlet 120v AC that will turn on and off at the correct times while in the cnc Control mode. I want this outlet to trigger the 12v positive DC supply and fire the laser. Hopefully I have the correct relay its a Omron G2r-2 its 5A 250V AC / 5A 30V DC rated. 8 pins on the bottom DPDT. Not sure how to connect it to make this all work. I googled diagrams but can not find one that fits this situation.

I have attached a diagram to hopefully make it more clear, Your help is much appreciated!!!description drawing.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I don't see why you would need a double pole switch, but it will do the job.

Make sure that the relay coil is rated for AC at your mains voltage.
description drawing.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your 12v DC will go to the 1-8 coil, and the contacts 3-4 (or 6-5) will be the output to the torch.
You also may want to wire a reverse diode across 1-8 coil, 1n7004.
I assumed you are using the triggered AC outlet?
Max.

rescueweasel

Joined Aug 29, 2014
There is no trigger option on the BOB that is why I had to go this route.

The Relay is a 120v Coil relay.

So I have One person saying AC connection to the 1 and 8 pins and one person saying the opposite?

Does AlbertHall have it correct in his drawing? Seems logical, The AC hooks into the 1 and 8 pin then when the outlet is triggered by software
it allows power 12v DC to flow from the 6 pin to the 5 pin and into the laser circuit triggering the laser to fire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What set up/system are you using?
What power supplies do you have available.
More info on the system you are using or putting together would help.
Anything like this?
Max.

BOB - Break Out Board.
upload_2018-9-26_14-4-0.jpeg

rescueweasel

Joined Aug 29, 2014
The system is a Bladerunner controller from CandCNC, It does not use a gecko set up, I talked to the manufacture of the system which is used to control routers and plasma and they said that there was nothing on the BOB that would allow me to accomplish this and recommended a 120v coil relay. I'm just not positive on where to hook the different wires up. AlbertHalls diagram makes sense

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I agree that seems to make sense, cannot the manuf furnish you with a circuit schematic hookup?
Max.
I doubt they'll do that- for liability reasons. They've sold a device, which their insurance carrier is ultimately backing. Anything a customer does beyond what is provided, must remain the customer's fault if they hurt themselves. Sad, but that's the state of litigation today.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I doubt they'll do that- for liability reasons. They've sold a device, which their insurance carrier is ultimately backing. Anything a customer does beyond what is provided, must remain the customer's fault if they hurt themselves. Sad, but that's the state of litigation today.
Fortunately I have never run into that over the years, most suppliers are very co-operative, I generally ask for the Technical Service or engineering, these guy's seem to have a different attitude.
Max.