Door opener security idea.

KarlJay

Joined May 6, 2013
Hi! I really don't know if this post belongs here or not, but maybe someone can direct me somewhere where I can get some ideas.

I have a slide open gate for my driveway. I live in a high crime area and want a secure system to open the gate.

I was looking a buying a garage door opener and hooking it up to a chain drive system that will open and close the gate.

I've got most of this figured out, but I'd like some kind of transmitter on each car where the gate won't open unless it gets a signal from one of the transmitters.

I'd like something that'll have a range of about 20 feet and have it interrupt the gate opener.

I was thinking of something like a wireless remote that you would use for a light switch, use that to power on the opener, then press the opener to open the gate.

That should add a level of security because it would be a 2 step process, you'd have to defeat both systems.

I'm open to any idea, or if someone knows of a kit or system that could be done by someone that doesn't really have much electronics background.

Again, sorry if this post doesn't belong here, just fishing for ideas...

Thanks, KarlJay.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You probably need to consider what the weakest link is. If someone wants in, would they HAVE to defeat both systems, or can they defeat something else instead? Can they reach through someplace and cut the chain? Can they force the gate with a truck? Can they go over the fence/wall?

In other words, you need to identify that subset of threats that your enhancements would be effective against, namely those that could get past a simple, off-the-shelf rolling code remote but who would be willing to accept defeat if they couldn't get past your enhancement.

Also, your whole system is still based on a remote control signal, so if you are concerned about that getting compromised, the added layer does nothing for you.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
You don't state your location, so this may or may not be an issue, garage door openers are not weatherproof . What that means is if you insist on using one you must find a way to properly enclose it to keep the elements out.
Not only that but a child could easily pop off the snap on cover of most openers, enabling him to touch the conductors. I would use the proper drive assembly for a sliding gate. As for remote you could use something like this:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OTX-418-HH-LR8-MS/OTX-418-HH-LR8-MS-ND/1277218
with the associated receiver, it's 4 channel and gives you several wiring options.