don't know where to start (Solar Panel)

tracker

Joined Jun 1, 2011
hello,
i bought a solar panel for my project, it's just a nice square solar cells 8 Watts and it comes with a Solar Power system controller, brief, i want to use it to feed my circuit board (5V input),or to use it with a rechargeable batterie, and i don't know how to use it, there's no wires nothing at all just the board and the controller wich i have no idea about it's role.
plz i'm looking forward for the help.
ps: i didn't want to use a batterie directly, i want to learn about how the panels works, it's should be very easy, but i just don't know yet (^_^).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A solar panel is fairly straight forward. It puts out a voltage whose magnitude is dependent on the amount of sunlight falling on it. There should be two wires from the solar panel, red (+ve) and black(-ve). You connect the panel via a diode in series to the battery you wish to charge. The only problem you have to watch out for is overcharging the battery.

tracker

Joined Jun 1, 2011
A solar panel is fairly straight forward. It puts out a voltage whose magnitude is dependent on the amount of sunlight falling on it. There should be two wires from the solar panel, red (+ve) and black(-ve). You connect the panel via a diode in series to the battery you wish to charge. The only problem you have to watch out for is overcharging the battery.
yes you're right and that's the role of the controller, it comes with 6 connectors 2 to the panel,2 to the batterie and 2 optional if you want to power up a bulb or something else. the problem is i don't have the two wires (red and black one)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
need to see clear pictures or diagrams of the controller board.

And really?? Getting a couple of pieces of colored wire should not be that hard!

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Here is a good site for you to start at. Click on the Tutorials radio button.
http://www.freesunpower.com/

Your solar panel should have two exposed terminals. Set your voltmeter to DC volts and touch the leads to the exposed terminals. Swap them around until you get the correct polarity. If your panel does not have bolt type lugs, and you must solder, be very careful when soldering to a metal tab on tempered glass.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
the problem is i don't have the two wires (red and black one)
Does anyone actually "read" these posts???

His problem is the fact that HE DOES NOT HAVE THE WIRES...... so really what kind of help are we supposed to give him, can't PM him the wires....:cool:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A solar panel is fairly straight forward. It puts out a voltage whose magnitude is dependent on the amount of sunlight falling on it.
+1

I'll just add that the voltage also depends on the load current. Many panels are described (marketed!) using two values; the voltage with no load and the current with no voltage (leads shorted). The most common newb mistake seen here is to multiply open circuit voltage by the short circuit current and dream of the power level. It just doesn't work that way.

In between these two endpoints, there's an I-V curve showing the voltage at any current draw. Peak power is usually at 80-90% of open voltage, at a far lower current than short-circuit.

If your panel was sold as an 8W panel with the controller, that's probably a "real" power level at full sun.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
can you post a photograph of your panels (front and back) so we can determine where you can connect the wires that you can buy at any electronics store?

tracker

Joined Jun 1, 2011
Does anyone actually "read" these posts???

His problem is the fact that HE DOES NOT HAVE THE WIRES...... so really what kind of help are we supposed to give him, can't PM him the wires....:cool:
pal, i figure it out, i just had to solder the exposed terminals with two wires. now it works and it is great indeed

tracker

Joined Jun 1, 2011
can you post a photograph of your panels (front and back) so we can determine where you can connect the wires that you can buy at any electronics store?
thank you body, i tough at first that the panels comes with the terminal wires attached, i even didn't notice the exposed terminals in the back of it, :)