Does this exist? Looking for a T&M piece of equipment,

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
Looking for a T&M piece of equipment, close to a pattern generator or arbitrary waveform generator.

Essentially a multiple channels (Let's say 8 - 16 channels) of digital outputs with a graphical interface to design a waveform, set amplitude, frequency, burst length, etc. Bonus if it can formulate data packets (serial, ethernet, etc.).

Basically I want something that can output all of the functions a logic analyzer could measure.

All the function generators I've seen are more limited in features from the digital front, and have only 1-2 channels.

Does this exist? How do people test their equipment? It seems like being able to source reference data for digital equipment would be a common requirement.

In my context, I'd love to be able to emulate a fancy absolute digital encoder signals (including absolute serial data in addition to incremental tracks), or incremental encoders with hall effect signals. This would require a minimum of 9 channels of parallel data. I can of course run a real encoder into the circuit, but this seems... imprecise.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think my data logger can play back "digital" outputs. That is 32 channels.
I have a ARB that plays back two channels of analog signals. I need to find the manual, but I think in the back, the inputs to the DACs is brought out. So it outputs digital information.

I don't know of any software that will help.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
This thing has 16 digital output that will do much of what you want. This one is built for analog & digital. There is one that is digital only and has more I/O. Thereare some versions that come in a metal box for more money. (faster)
1675379143409.png

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Looking for a T&M piece of equipment, close to a pattern generator or arbitrary waveform generator.

Essentially a multiple channels (Let's say 8 - 16 channels) of digital outputs with a graphical interface to design a waveform, set amplitude, frequency, burst length, etc. Bonus if it can formulate data packets (serial, ethernet, etc.).

Basically I want something that can output all of the functions a logic analyzer could measure.

All the function generators I've seen are more limited in features from the digital front, and have only 1-2 channels.

Does this exist? How do people test their equipment? It seems like being able to source reference data for digital equipment would be a common requirement.

In my context, I'd love to be able to emulate a fancy absolute digital encoder signals (including absolute serial data in addition to incremental tracks), or incremental encoders with hall effect signals. This would require a minimum of 9 channels of parallel data. I can of course run a real encoder into the circuit, but this seems... imprecise.
Yep they exist alright !
Budget ?
Go looking here but have a chair ready for when you hear the price:
https://int.siglent.com/products-overview/sdg7000a/

Last edited: