Does the signal indicator on electronic device provide accurate reading of the signal received?

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I have a 4G modem...but usually it only gets 2 to 3 bar signal around 3 to 5 Mbps speed.

I build an amplifier ---> the signal still maintain around 2 to 3 bar --- but the speed is around 7 to 10 Mbs consistently ...and without the amplifier the speed is back around 1 to 5 mbps..

The amplifier seems does to work but the signal indicator in the modem doesn't indicate any changes. And without it my 4G connection is slower...

BTW it also happens to my phone...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There’s no standard unit of measurement for a bar on a phone or modem. It might be a combination of signal-to-noise ratio, signal strength and network loading.

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
There’s no standard unit of measurement for a bar on a phone or modem. It might be a combination of signal-to-noise ratio, signal strength and network loading.
You maybe right in fact the speed test software also sometimes is not as accurate as most of it claims to be....i can test my connection only run 900 Kbps on speed test software but in reality the website and youtube load like it has 10 Mbps