Does the Bombardier/DHC Q400 Auxiliary Power Unit Include a DC Generator? If it does, what kind of winding does it use?

Frequently.Modulated

Joined Mar 14, 2020
Good day!

I am currently writing a short report on DC machines and I intended to use the generator onboard the Bombardier/DHC Dash 8 Q400's Auxiliary Power Unit as a focal topic. Upon searching through several documentation (both from Bombardier themselves and some airlines like AirBaltic) I have only stumbled upon operation manuals but nothing on the inner workings of the APU themselves.

Thus, I would like to ask if anyone can share clarity regarding this topic? I understand that the APU has a generator which supplies 28V DC, however I do not know if this is due to the generator being a DC machine or if it is rectified from something like a 3 phase AC generator.

Any response would be appreciated and even just links to equipment documentation would really help a lot.

Thank you very much!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That information would probably come from the manufacturer of the APU directly, not Bombardier, assuming Bombardier is not the actual manufacturer. In other words, I would look at the APU like avionics and engines. An engine may be specific for an particular aircraft, but its details are with the engine manufacturer.

Frequently.Modulated

Joined Mar 14, 2020
That information would probably come from the manufacturer of the APU directly, not Bombardier, assuming Bombardier is not the actual manufacturer. In other words, I would look at the APU like avionics and engines. An engine may be specific for an particular aircraft, but its details are with the engine manufacturer.
Oh right my mistake, I'll try to look at Hamilton Sundstrand's page and see if they have anything on it, thanks!