Does such a part exist?

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
I'm looking for a single two input NOR GATE. I need a high output on two single low inputs. Hope I explained this well enough??

I can only find ones that are surface mount. I need one that is in a pin through hole configuration.I can't use the quad ones as I am extremely limited for space.

Could someone tell me if such a part exists with a Pin through Hole configuration?

Thanks everyone -JDR04:confused:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking for a single two input NOR GATE. I need a high output on two single low inputs. Hope I explained this well enough??

I can only find ones that are surface mount. I need one that is in a pin through hole configuration.I can't use the quad ones as I am extremely limited for space.

Could someone tell me if such a part exists with a Pin through Hole configuration?

Thanks everyone -JDR04:confused:
No it does not. Nobody is making through hole parts any more. The only ones still in the supply pipeline were manufactured years ago. We are now in the third decade of the SMT revolution. The single gate parts are in SOT23-5 packages.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Do you have room for 2 transistors and 3 resistors?
I began doing digital logic in the 70's using RTL logic. Believe it or not the local department store (name forgotten, long out of business) had some Motorola RTL IC's, metal can TO-8 packages in their electronics department, probably right next to the tube tester. They were very expensive, but they had them! Lafayette Electronics also had them (a bit more reasonably) plus some header boards.

I began making some of my own gates using that same schematic copied off the packaging.

@JDR04: You can get adapter boards to convert SMD parts to 0.1" pinouts for breadbording. If you are clever and careful you may even be able to hand solder them down to 0.1" pad breadboards. But for "wireless" breadboards you'll need those adapters. I can post an EBay link if you need one.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks The RB, sure would appreciate it if you could show me how. JDR04
Connect the 2 inputs through 2 resistors (10k?) into the base of a NPN transistor.

The NPN emitter goes to ground.

The output of the NOR gate is the NPN collector. It needs a pull-up resistor, 1k is probably fine.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Here's the one I use. It's made for an SOIC package but a SOT will span the pins and make connections. I keep this vendor in my saved area, they have lots of good stuff.

This looks like a more exact fit but costs a lot more (and I never used that vendor).