Does every android phone run hot and suck?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My first android phone was the EVO and sometimes I would notice it just getting hot in my pocket. I pull it out and can almost see the battery indicator depleting. I figured it was because of all the apps I had on it. I got rid of that and had a cheap-o prepaid phone for a long time. It was great, would stay charged for a whole week and never got hot.

So I decided to upgrade (still on the prepaid) because virgin mobile now has android phones. I got a LG optimus Elite. It advertised 10.5 days standby time and 7.2hrs talk time. I brought it home, charged it, took it to work the next day, and before lunch I feel the thing going into thermal runaway mode right there in my pocket. I pulled it out and I have <1/3 battery life remaining. I hadn't downloaded a single app, hadn't even put my phone numbers in it yet. Wifi was off, gps was off, I didn't browse or call or anything. So I gave it a couple more days and same thing every day. almost dead before lunch. I took it back and got the HTC wildfire s. Same crap, but not quite as bad. It will last a whole shift but I laugh at their claim of 12 days standby time. It really should say 12 hours, literally. it does also go into thermal runaway with no apps running and no user action. 3 hours in my pocket, then BAM starts getting hot and I have to turn it off and let it cool down and back on, otherwise my battery will crash straight through the floor.

anybody else had this problem with androids?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I've got an old Lg Optimus GT540. It's not perfect by any means, battery life is 36 hours max.
What I found early on is that to get even that battery life, I need to use "Mini task Manager" or something similar. It kills some of the rubbish running in the background.
On the whole I'm pretty happy though, as long as I charge it once a day and don't use GPS too much it's OK.

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
I can confirm that the Samsung Galaxy S2 doesn't run hot, or even warm. It has it's pluses and minuses, but heat isn't an issue at all.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I've got a Virgin Mobile Optimus V.. No problems at all. Battery will last 24+ hours.
Turn GPS off, turn Bluetooth off. Turn off any other location stuff. I always leave Wifi on.
Got an Otter Box case for it (best case EVER).. Never feels hot.

oh and turn down screen brightness that makes a big difference.. (I've got an app called "quick settings" that works great to access all your settings in 1 place).. I set the brightness at 10% in quick settings and its just fine as long as your aren't in direct sun

Last edited:

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I have a Samsung stratosphere and really like it. It doesn't get hot and I've talked on it for up to 12 hours at a time. I keep the gps off and have turned off other apps and adjusted the lighting and the active/ standby times, etc to suit my needs. I suggest you read the phone manual to optimize your needs. I use mine at least 50% of the time to access the internet instead of my computer. Now I have a tendency to try and "tap" the computer screen instead of using the mouse! :) (No, I'm not a blonde!)

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I have had an HTC Evo since they came out a couple years back. I don't think I have ever had any random heat issues with it. Though there have been times where it got hot from excesive usage, playing games/pandora/other stuff.

dewasiuk

Joined Feb 14, 2011
Galaxy S2 LTE here, fast phone, 3 days of battery life when completely idle or 1 day and a half with heavy usage. No heat issues at all either.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Some of us are in colder climates than you so overheating is less likely.
It amazes me that the mobile manufacturers are allowed to lie so much about the standby time. I just checked and mine is "up to 350 hours". As far as I can tell that's simply not possible.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Some of us are in colder climates than you so overheating is less likely.
It amazes me that the mobile manufacturers are allowed to lie so much about the standby time. I just checked and mine is "up to 350 hours". As far as I can tell that's simply not possible.
It's probably like MOSFET current ratings, some theoretical number derived from calculations involving non-real world conditions. Like being powered on with no operating system. or being powered on in airplane mode @ 0°C with absolutely zero apps installed.

julesh

Joined Jun 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Mini (aka Europa) checking in -- not overheating here, unless used heavily while the battery is charging.

As for standby time, I believe the usual test is with phone connectivity switched on (but operating in the lowest power mode supported, which essentially means sat in line of sight of a nearby base station) but everything else switched off (wireless, data connectivity, bluetooth, gps, screen, etc). For a smartphone, this would also involve having any app that periodically wakes the phone up uninstalled or disabled (this would include several of the standard android apps: play store, gmail, and the facebook app most manufacturers include all do this). They may also get away with testing several devices and picking the longest result (they are claiming an "up to" figure, after all).

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
My first android phone was the EVO and sometimes I would notice it just getting hot in my pocket. I pull it out and can almost see the battery indicator depleting.

... I pulled it out and I have <1/3 battery life remaining.

... So I gave it a couple more days and same thing every day. almost dead before lunch.

... got the HTC wildfire s. Same crap, but not quite as bad.
Strantor,

I figured I would run this by you. You mentioned the battery getting very warm and even used the words "thermal runaway", so you may be describing something more serious than what I'm suggesting below, but it can't hurt to mention this.

I'm traveling on vacation right now. I just took a 5 hour plane trip and forgot to shut my phone off during the flight. My fully charged phone was nearly dead when I got off the plane. Normally, my phone lasts 4 or 5 days without charging. I think what happens is that if there is no tower signal available, the phone wastes a lot of power trying to find one. Years ago, I had a similar problem when there were more analog towers. The phone would go dead much faster when in an analog zone. This has not happened in a long time, so I assume the analog towers are rare or nonexistent now.

I wonder if you are having a similar issue. Perhaps you just happen to be in a weak signal zone much of the time. Putting the phone in your pocket would make it struggle even more to find a signal, and communicate with the tower.

:confused: ... yes? ... no? ... maybe?

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I wonder if you are having a similar issue. Perhaps you just happen to be in a weak signal zone much of the time. Putting the phone in your pocket would make it struggle even more to find a signal, and communicate with the tower.

:confused: ... yes? ... no? ... maybe?
That would be much more likely than 3 seperate bum phones. Common factor - my location.
You're a genius.
I'll keep an eye on my signal status, I know it is poor in some areas where I spend time. Might put it in airplane mode in those areas.

TonyScott

Joined May 9, 2012
Change to Samsung Galaxy SII. Standby time is 710h and talk time is 18h. I also like its sleek design. I never experienced it getting "hot" so you might consider giving it a try and avoid having to deal with your problem anymore.

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
Change to Samsung Galaxy SII. Standby time is 710h and talk time is 18h. I also like its sleek design. I never experienced it getting "hot" so you might consider giving it a try and avoid having to deal with your problem anymore.
Say what, 710 hours of standby? 29 days?? I have a Galaxy SII and like it quite a bit, but it lasts maybe 24-36 hours on (mostly) standby, depending on its mood.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
good news: no longer having problems with my phone battery since I upgraded the OS.

bad news: today I'm sitting in class and I hear some thug-a** gangsta rap ringtone. Very put off, I started looking around to see which of these miscreants is polluting my learning environment with this unsavory noise. I notice the sound seems very near and everybody else is staring at me. It was my phone. Why was my phone playing this foul tune? I don't listen to this crap! I swear! WTF?!?! Plus, I put my phone on silent before I went into class; I specifically remember doing it. I opened the phone and I see the culprit is Pandora. Why pandora is playing this, I don't know. I hadn't even opened pandora, and AFAIK it was not running in the background. I tried to close pandora but it won't close. I tried to lower the volume but it won't lower. The screen is no longer responding. I held the power button down and the phone powered down. But guess what? It's still blaring swisha house! WHY? So I ripped the cover off and popped the battery out. About a 45 sec embarrassing ordeal. I guess I won't bring this possessed phone to class any more.