Does anyone know the gauss amount of a automotive rotor winding?

Sungchow

Joined Oct 22, 2020
As people know, automotive alternators and gauss meters have been around since before the internet, yet, even though this is true, i can not, i repeat, i cannot find any info on the internet stating the surface gauss of an automotive altetnator rotor. Seems very odd that i cant find that info considering how common of an item an automotive alternator is, how long it and the internet have been around, up to today, and no internet search results when googling "gauss rating of alternator rotor winding". Im supposed to believe that, on the entire planet of 8 billion people, uploading for decades upon decades, there isnt any info on an automotive alternator rotor gauss rating??? What kind of is happening here? Seriously. Anyways, if you have a gauss meter and a setup which you can use to measure a automotive or other kind of alternator rotor winding gauss reading at the surface of one of the claws while the rotor is given its full power rating, or if you have a link to credible information regarding rotors and thier associated guass readings at various points and scenarios, please do share for everyone out there looking, so hopefully this pops up in the internet search for people to gain some knowledge from. Thanks. Have a good one!

Last edited by a moderator:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Why would you think that information would be shared at all? This would be one of those things that are proprietary for the most part and different with each manufacture or even model number within a maker.

My first Google link found a lot of information on how to compute the gauss of a *given* rotor, the one you have in your hand, if you want to do the measuring of it's components. Didn't dig any deeper but would bet there is more information if you spend the time to look and read. Many times there is much better information on other than the first page of Google searches, those links are first because they pay to get there. The link I looked at - https://www.enginebuildermag.com/1998/03/understanding-alternator-current-output/

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I noticed you have several threads on the Intenet about the makep of an alternator and in great detail. As @shortbus mentioned, most of that information would be proprietary but you could probably find it if you knew the right people. What are you building if I may ask that needs these details? I ask because I used to be a rebuilder and you have gone deeper than any of us ever did. Interesting is all.

Sungchow

Joined Oct 22, 2020
Thanks for the reply, i understand how what you said regarding proprietaryness could be true, in certain ways, but, it is also true that alternators have been around since before nikola tesla, and considering the only reason all those people out there making alternators, are able to, because patents expire, the information regarding what i am inquiring for, should be on the internet, for anyone to google and read or watch on a video. I know there are equations to formulate a design for alternators/generators to know what components and size and the abc 123 xyz of it and what it will do, but, none of that should be necessary nor required to find the answer to the question i asked and am seeking an answer to. The answer i seek is as easy as the experiment i portrayed in the question i posted, using a gauss meter and a rotor and a power supply, but the money spent on the internet i use should really be all i need to spend in order to find the answer. Im going to copy and paste this to the other response because it seems to have a similar opinion refarding this. If i may also add, the rotor is, as you probably would agree, is a electromagnet, and so im guessing, there is probably a relationship between its power consumption and gauss rating. If you know anything regarding electromagnets and associated surface gauss readings, please share the info for all who see this.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If i may also add, the rotor is, as you probably would agree, is a electromagnet, and so im guessing, there is probably a relationship between its power consumption and gauss rating. If you know anything regarding electromagnets and associated surface gauss readings, please share the info for all who see this.
Did you take the time to read the link I gave you? I have my doubts because if you did you wouldn't be asking that. There is a correlation but it's up to YOU to do the research to find it, no one or no place is going to do it for you, no matter how much you think they should.

What your asking is something engineers find by the experimentation and ideas they prove. I worked as a die/mold maker in the automotive world. You can't believe the things that are done to save weight in a car, just for things like plastic wiring connectors. And I 'm sure they also do it for alternators too, so they do a balancing act any way they can save copper or wire is something they do. So how does this relate to you question? The find the lowest weight to do the most and that is why you can't find it in the headline of a Google link. If YOU want to know READ and INVESTIGATE. I would almost bet the information is out there but it won't be handed to you wrapped up in pretty paper with a ribbon. No matter how much you pay for your internet.

Sungchow

Joined Oct 22, 2020
Idk why you sound so angry and unable to unswer my question. If this was a cooking forum and someone asked how many eggs are in a dozen, and got a response from people like you, saying alot of words, excluding the answer, included some rudeness, it sure wouldnt seem appropriate to treat a person asking a question countless people know and could easily speak up and say the answer. Sure they could all say "go find out some other way" but then, what would the forum be there for? Furthermore, google or some other search engine would easily pop up the answer, eliminating the need to visit a forum. So what this puts into perspective, is, the question i seek an answer to, countless people know the answer to, but, not even google will spit out the answer. This sure creates a very interesting scenario. Isnt it? Why do you suppose this is occuring?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Idk why you sound so angry and unable to unswer my question. If this was a cooking forum and someone asked how many eggs are in a dozen, and got a response from people like you, saying alot of words, excluding the answer, included some rudeness, it sure wouldnt seem appropriate to treat a person asking a question countless people know and could easily speak up and say the answer. Sure they could all say "go find out some other way" but then, what would the forum be there for? Furthermore, google or some other search engine would easily pop up the answer, eliminating the need to visit a forum. So what this puts into perspective, is, the question i seek an answer to, countless people know the answer to, but, not even google will spit out the answer. This sure creates a very interesting scenario. Isnt it? Why do you suppose this is occuring?
DO YOU have any clue to the electromagnetic design degrees of freedom for automotive alternators?
https://www.egr.msu.edu/classes/ece480/capstone/fall15/group09/reports/technicallecture.pdf

The point is for flux to be inside doing work. People measure or calculate things that are generally useful. If your question was generally useful, the internet would be full of answers.

The lack of data should be a clue.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If reality makes you angry, then you need to channel your inquiries to more calming subjects. You sound like a kid throwing a tantrum. It is not a good look.

Sungchow

Joined Oct 22, 2020
If y'all were to make an educated guess, how many gauss do you think an automotive alternator rotor eletromagnet is on the surface of one of the claws? I dare y'all to try your best to make an accurate, rational, realistic response to this. Make your great grandparents and great grandkids proud. Now show the world what you come up with. Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If y'all were to make an educated guess, how many gauss do you think an automotive alternator rotor eletromagnet is on the surface of one of the claws? I dare y'all to try your best to make an accurate, rational, realistic response to this. Make your great grandparents and great grandkids proud. Now show the world what you come up with. Thanks.
I never knew my great grandparents, and for sure I will never have great grandkids. Nothing to lose and nothing to prove. Try harder.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Not the slightest clue however in your position and not being to find the answers you seek it should be simple to go to an auto electrician and spend scrap value for one they have replaced and measure the thing yourself.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Why do you suppose this is occuring?
Probably because nobody has posted the information on-line, either because it's proprietary or because there are so many variables involved (particularly magnet pole geometry) that there is no general formula available for calculating surface field strength.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This problem appears similar to the problem of computing the circumference of an ellipse. Just because you think there is a way to calculate something relatively simple to explain doesn't mean that a method exists to provide an exact answer.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So what this puts into perspective, is, the question i seek an answer to, countless people know the answer to, but, not even google will spit out the answer
Those of us that know also know the correct handshake. You don't. We told the cooking forum people the number of eggs in a dozen once, now every one knows. We won't let that kind of thing ever happen again.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
If this was a cooking forum and someone asked how many eggs are in a dozen...
You might as well ask how many grains of sand are in a cubic centimeter of sand. The answer is not really useful and it's different from one cubic centimeter of sand to the next.

Magnetic field strength will vary all through the space inside an automotive alternator. Knowing the magnetic field strength does not offer any meaning. It won't tell you how much power the alternator can put out. It won't tell you current or voltage of the power coming out of the alternator. It won't tell you how much power you need to turn the alternator. IF you find an answer, I think you'll find the answer is not really useful and it's different from one alternator to the next.

What are you trying to find out regarding alternators? Why do you want to find the magnetic field strength?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think is pretty clear that the answer is unknowable among the present company. The TS will just have to accept that result or search elsewhere for his particular version of the Holy Grail.

Sungchow

Joined Oct 22, 2020
Its for top secret, super dooper classified, real hush hush stuff, but, luckily, a successfull completed mission to area 51 yielded an ordinary automotive alternator, with all the answers, built right in. Just keep this information communicated on military grade classified communication lines like the ones we are using here. Someone could get real upset if an ordinary automotive alternator, and all the information it contains, got out to the civilian domain. Im promoting you all to class A sector 4 master level top rank casual friday snoofernatoobleh eep tokka tokka walla walla bing bang toot toots. And a cherry on top. Merry Christmas

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Magnetic field strength will vary all through the space inside an automotive alternator.
It also changes with the charge it needs to put into the electrical system of the car. The magnetic strength on the rotor is how they do the alternators regulation.

you have to assume this is some sort of homework, something he chose that seemed easy but then the Google let him down. And all that reading takes up soooo much of his time. Better to just pick fights on line.

You might as well ask how many grains of sand are in a cubic centimeter of sand
And don't you dare tell him the answer to that one! Or it will be all over the playground forums!