Does anyone know Iron Vane?

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
I saw Iron Vane is also a kind of current probe, but when I am using an iron vane do I have to open the circuit? Or it is just like current transformer could directly measure it?
Thanks!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

From the wiki:

Iron vane

In the iron vane type, the magnetic flux in the core directly affects a moving iron vane, allowing both AC and DC to be measured, and gives a true RMS value for non-sinusoidal AC waveforms. Due to its physical size it is generally limited to power transmission frequencies up to around 100 Hz.
The vane is usually fixed directly to the display mechanism of an analogue (moving pointer) clamp meter.

here is the full page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_clamp

Bertus

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I saw Iron Vane is also a kind of current probe, but when I am using an iron vane do I have to open the circuit? Or it is just like current transformer could directly measure it?
Thanks!
I'm familiar with these, they were commonly used by auto mechanics as high current ammeters, matter of fact I have a set of them from Snap-On down in one of my tool boxes.

On an active (closed) circuit you lay it against the current carrying conductor and the vane would move to indicate the amperage. One of mine is a low range (used to test charging current and alternator field winding draw) and the other is a high range used to test starter motor current.

They didn't have to be clamped around the wire, just put on top of a short length that was flat.
Very handy devices in their day, still handy even now.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The bottom Meter is what marshallf3 is refering to, Is used by placing on wire & reading current of Altenator or the higher scale for startermotors. The Volt meter is a moving vane in a coil & will measure AC or DC. Daryl

Attachments

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
I'm familiar with these, they were commonly used by auto mechanics as high current ammeters, matter of fact I have a set of them from Snap-On down in one of my tool boxes.

On an active (closed) circuit you lay it against the current carrying conductor and the vane would move to indicate the amperage. One of mine is a low range (used to test charging current and alternator field winding draw) and the other is a high range used to test starter motor current.

They didn't have to be clamped around the wire, just put on top of a short length that was flat.
Very handy devices in their day, still handy even now.
Hello marshallf3
You mean just lay the Iron vane meter besides the current carrying conductor then it could indicate the current? without any connection?
Thank you.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi chudiandeyu, Yes you just place the meter on the single wire you want to measure the current on, DC only. Daryl