Does anyone here use Cadence ORCAD Capture?

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I've just started using it and I am having trouble finding specific parts. From what I am seeing so far, the specific parts are kept within .olb files with some file names I dont recognize. Can anyone tell me how parts are searched? I want to find an NTC Thermistor but I dont know what .olb its in.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Don't use orcad but "usually" the component libraries are either company specific with part numbers being used or function specific again with part numbers being used..

Of course there is no point in learning to use a PCB program if you don't learn how to create new parts and work with the libraries. MANY times (for what do) the parts are not in the libraries and I must create the parts on my own.

I'm sure there are websites for Orcad too where you can download additional libraries created by other users. That always scares me because you never know if its done wrong or not so you must always check others work too. Nothing worse that finding out the PCB was made wrong and is just junk because you had the wrong pads or whatever and didn't check it.

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I thought electronics simulation software was there to make life easier for you to quickly knock up a circuit. Apparently Cadence is the most widely used in the electronic design industry. I usually use Multisim but I cant find a thermistor model for it.

By the way when you create your own parts how do you know the specs for it?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I thought electronics simulation software was there to make life easier for you to quickly knock up a circuit. Apparently Cadence is the most widely used in the electronic design industry. I usually use Multisim but I cant find a thermistor model for it.

By the way when you create your own parts how do you know the specs for it?
It does make life easier.. But are you aware of how many MILLIONS of parts are out there.. A program can't have them all.. But they usually have the "most common" parts out there.

And you find a parts "specs" in that parts "datasheet"

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've used it in the past for schematic capture and PCB layout, not for simulation. I have done sim in other packages.

Oft times you need to create your own components and link the simulation model in from manufacturer's data.

Of course, the people who sell Orcad also sell packages that link right to that same data and ease it's importation.

It is quite an expensive package. $$$

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I doubt any simulation software will have models for thermistors. Just use a set of resistors or a some parametric function if you need to sweep over the temperature. Remember you are doing a model of a part of the circuit for a particular simulation, you usually can´t put every detail into one simulation. For example an oscillator running from a rectified AC power source would take ages to simulate, so you replace the AC source + rectifier with a DC voltage source to make your life easier, and then simulate the power supply on its own if needed.