Does any one have a schematic and parts list to build a simple 24 v 10A to 15A power supply

Onyx5527

Joined Jun 23, 2018
I am building a coil lathe and I have all the necessary components except for a power supply. No I would like to point out that, I know that I can buy a cheap power supply to do what I need to do. How ever i would like to build it. I'm 33 years old and have spent most of my life working around electronic problems but have never understood how it all worked. It took quitting smoking and buying a vape to start understanding and wanting to learn more about electronics. So having got the biography out of the way. I just need a simple 24v 10A to 15A power supply to clean up the signal going in to my pwm. I currently have an ac 30 v transformer and a full wave rectifier going it to the pwm but the wave form is to .... for lack of a better term.. dirty. The power supply does not have to be adjustable and I can get away with 5 amps but I prefer 15, in case I want to expand on the system later.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks

Onyx5527

Joined Jun 23, 2018
What is it's current rating?

As mentioned, there's nothing simple about making a power supply with the specs you want.
From what I can find it has a current rating of 15watts+... and its peak voltage is 40.2. It is an slme hk57h.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
You say 24 volts and it does not need to be adjustable. How close to 24 volts does it need to be? Would it be OK if it was between 20 - 28 volts? .. or maybe 22 - 26 volts? Does it need to be regulated or can the voltage vary a bit with load?

You may be able to get by with a simple transformer, bridge rectifier, and a big filter capacitor.

Oh, and a google of that slme hk57h give me the idea it is a 30VA transformer, i.e. 30 volt 1 amp secondary.

Onyx5527

Joined Jun 23, 2018
You say 24 volts and it does not need to be adjustable. How close to 24 volts does it need to be? Would it be OK if it was between 20 - 28 volts? .. or maybe 22 - 26 volts? Does it need to be regulated or can the voltage vary a bit with load?

You may be able to get by with a simple transformer, bridge rectifier, and a big filter capacitor.

Onyx5527

Joined Jun 23, 2018
Well it doesn't need to be dead on the money 24 but the cleaner the signal going in to my pwm the better. Right now I'm running a slme hk57h 40.2 peak volt and it is reading 25.6 vac before the rectifier. It works now with the transformer and rectifier, But I'm getting an ossiltion out the motor and from what I was told by the pwm manufacturer was that I need to clean up the wave form going in to the pwm.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
To build one yourself would cost too much. Yes.....a switching power supply. They are relatively cheap and you can even go with an adjustable unit. I would go on amazon or ebay.....but stick around, the experts on here know where the quality is......if you want it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Sorry not trying to sound stupid but what is a switcher. Are you talking about a switching power supply.....or an ic ?
A switch mode power supply (SMPS) will dissipate less power in the pass transistor than a linear supply. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

If you intend to make a 24V supply using a 30VAC (RMS) transformer, the peak voltage on the filter cap will be around 45V minus rectifier diode drops. In round numbers, that will give about 42V into the regulator.

At 1A, a linear regulator will dissipate 18W while the load will dissipate 24W. With a switching regulator, power dissipated by the regulator will be much lower.

If you scale up to the 15A you mentioned in your original post, a switching regulator makes more sense.