Do you use a crimper for Dupont connectors?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I use a lot of connectors. I like the Dupont connectors like found in PCs (speaker, front panel etc).

Usually I rob the connectors from old PCs but it sometimes makes the project a bit messy looking because you have to sometimes join one wire to the other.

I am thinking of buying some Dupont connector housings and pins. Does anyone use a crimping tool or do you just crimp with a pair of needle nose pliers and solder?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Not using proper crimp tool (pliers) will most often give poor results. If you do not feel for purchasing a proper crimp tool. Using plier and then soldering may do the job for hobbyist jobs at least. For professional jobs I will say it is a no-no

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I simply solder the wire in and then use pliers to crimp it in such way that it fits into the plastic connector.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
FYI. (From the professional side of the fence)
If you are not using an "approved" (UL listed) crimper with any type of terminals then UL considers this "unacceptable" and will require additional testing or additional methods of securement.

What I find amazing is that the UL listed "hand" tooling for most terminals is typically $250 to 500+
We (well the accountants/bean counters) would be so happy if we could use a $10 crimp tool.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
What I find amazing is that the UL listed "hand" tooling for most terminals is typically $250 to 500+
We (well the accountants/bean counters) would be so happy if we could use a $10 crimp tool.
UL often knows less than nothing about the products that they are certifying. I once was a reviewer of a portable generator specification they were trying to develop. It was pathetic.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
FYI. (From the professional side of the fence)
If you are not using an "approved" (UL listed) crimper with any type of terminals then UL considers this "unacceptable" and will require additional testing or additional methods of securement.

The tool has to be listed, the terminal has to be listed, the wire has to be listed, and the method used must also be listed.

Oh, and the guy squeezing the crimping tool? No, he can't be listed, but he should be certified.

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
While it is possible to make a bad connection with a good tool, it is virtually impossible to make a good connection using the improper too. Dr. Charles Wing

Last edited: