Do you still use Windows?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh yeah. A lot of these articles are sensationalist at best, misleading at worst. To me the OS is a tool, nothing more. One of my big peeves about Vista and Windows 7 is they seem to think I care about the OS to the point I'll throw away my old hardware to upgrade, not to mention a lot of my old software. With XP it was 100% compatible with the Win98SE hardware. M/$ lack of recognition of this simple fact is giving Linux a major boost IMO.

If Linux would run all my apps I wouldn't mind using it, but it doesn't. I still use M/$ Office 97, it does everything I want and I don't have to climb any learning curves.

If something like a HAL2000 I might be induced to buy new hardware/software, but as is there isn't any need to change. I hung on to Win98SE way beyond everyone else, the only reason I moved to XP was to use a hard drive larger than 137Gig. There has to be a reason other than fashion to make me jump to another platform.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Bill, If you get bored one day (ha!)

Set up a dual-boot.

I have done so with Ubuntu, and so far I have not looked back.

If for SOME REASON you feel performance slipping from your computer, set up the dual boot.

If the LINUX distro runs as fast (faster) than your original clean-install windows did, you will be quite happy.

Also, you may want to start with downloading OpenOffice. See how close to Office is feels. It handles all of my old WordPerfect 9 documents line native. Also Word stopped opening MicrosoftWORKS files a few years back. OO opens them.

There is little to no learning curve. When I say little, I mean you may have to find which menu a particular command is located.. but they are layed out logically.. layout options are under 'layout' ;)

Also, using Ubuntu, Wine runs along with it. So if you download or buy a Windows package, you dont need to set it up. You just double click it as you always have. Wine will load it If its supported.

Unless you are using custom made software that is SUPER complicated, It runs.

All of my PIC, AVR, TI and RENESAS compilers and emulators (where applicable) run fine.

Most offer linux versions.

If you are happy where your at...stay where your at. I agree with that.

I have to thank Vista for making me a permanent Linux convert.

I have to warn you of ONE thing though.

MAKE SURE you make your Ubuntu partition HUGE.

I made the mistake of only giving it 3 gigs and now I am running out of space.

As you notice yourself NOT booting to windows anymore, I would backup your ubuntu to another drive or DVD then start from scratch with a new format.

That is the only problem I have had. I only wanted to play around with it then I couldn't go back. I made the partition too small to begin with.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
I still using Windows XP because it's working with all my soft and hardware on my computer. I can't find any reason why i have to upgrade to something newer if there's no use for it.

As far as it goes for me, XP is still the best ever. Windows 7 is all about money as far as i concern . When someone upgrade to windows 7 it's only to be in fashion or to have the feel of it.

I will stay with Windows XP until it's absolutely necessary to make a change.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I agree with that. XP is a very good OS. It is STILL being installed on new machines.

Many folks buy a new PC (usually stocked with WIN7) and put XP on it as soon as they power it up for the first time.

Windows being Windows does have a 'bloat' problem.

Unless you spend some time trimming, pruning, and weeding your registration file, your computer will slow continually.

"Why is this?" You ask?

A simple "right-click" initiates a read of the registration file. It holds the info that tells Windows what options are available in the menu that pops up.

Then when you run a file, WHACK, another registration read-through. This time to see what and where the program config file is and their permissions.

So as you and your OS age, you have to burn off the calories. If not, every time you get up, or do anything, you will weigh a little more.. And be a little slower each time.

The registration file can get HUGE. It may get accessed 10 times in a 10 minute period.

If the file is 20MB in size, even with a 7200RPM drive, and fast cache and memory. The sheer number of times this file is accessed slows things.

If you have ever deleted a program without using the un-install option, all the remnants of the files installation is recorded in the registration.

It get BIGGER and BIGGER. Slower and SLOWER..

If it gets to the point where it is so much slower than the day you bought it, try the dual boot.

You can always remove it.

Microsoft should have suck with the XP backbone.

They would have a prize of an OS.

I miss the days where you didn't even see the OS. Now they "pretty" it up.

As soon as more RAM and disk space is available, Windows makes pretty shadows and animations and stereo-3d sounds.. Why take all the new resources and use them on the OS. They should be available to the APPS.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Yes,I still use Windows XP SP3.
I have tried many other OS like
LINUX distros
1)Ubantu,2)Fedora both are linux and the problems are like Installing application is too much critical as compared with windows ,you have to learn to use terminal (terminal in linux is kind of DOS in windows) to install something, yes packages are available but not every linux based software have packages and many packages need internet connection to get properly installed.Most drivers for hardwares like printer,phone,camera,etc from the manufactures will support only windows ,I cant get connected to internet from my linux because my Samsung phone's drivers are for windows only,and also i didnt find any alternative.Their are more but I will stop here.

Now for new windows version ,when vista released I used it and my motherboard get damaged,So I learnt that unless an OS is making enough room in the market I will not use it so NO to Windows 7 (will try it after some years).

Dont have to say anything about XP as it is their for so long ,used in office,school,development areas etc ,offcource their will be problems and will be cleared with upcomming service packs.And about the security hole non of the computer connected to network is safe any thing connected could be hacked.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have not used the terminal for installation of any software packages.

You can use a standard windows installer for windows programs, and use the synaptic installer that comes with ubuntu to only use programs that are compatable.

The thing about ubuntu, and linux, with such a HUGE developer base, making it as easy as possible is the plan.

If you find a package you need to install using the terminal, I think you didn't look for a version with an installer.

Just like with electronics, a google search and forum search will get you what you need in most cases.

The linux die-hards are so anti-microsoft that they will make sure there is a GUI based, packaged version of everything available.

And if you ever need something customized, a post in a forum will get you open-sourced results.

For instance:

"I was thinking about using GIMP instead of PHOTOSHOP but GIMP does not have [insert option here]. So I guess Ill stick with PS."

Reply:
"All you have to do is: blah, blah, blah, blah! Simple. I added that function real quick. You can download it here: blah.com"

If your time is a value to you, you can get a fully functional, stable OS, that is less attacked, more secure, and constantly developed for less than windows. If you have questions, you use a forum for the answers.. You will get them.

You can use all of your old files and applications. Under a dual-boot you can open the files on the windows partition so you need not worry about not being able to access your old files while using the linux distro.

A lot has changed just in the last 2 years.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I use XP
I did try Ubuntu once and only once.
I have downloaded another OS before. One member suggested it, I can't seem to remember the name....ah....suse I tink. How is it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't do dual boot. I do removable hard drive bays. I have Win98SE, and XP. I've tried LIVE! disks of Umbutu and Knoppix, I don't see any major advantages to either system for my applications, and a lot of disadvantages (as in learning new software).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The use of new linux versions like OpenSuse (supported by Novell) is very easy.
There are many graphic applications for managing the system (inside YaST2):

There is also the software manager for installing and removing software:

So using the new linux versions in quite easy.
There are also LIVE versions of many linux distributions available.

An overview of all linux versions can be found here:
http://distrowatch.com/

An overview if LIFE linux versions can be found here:
http://www.livecdlist.com/

Bertus

Attachments

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
retched, ok find me a usb modem driver for Samsung SGH-J600 mobile phone under any Linux distros and most welcome if its for ubantu,and you didnt needed terminal to install application because you only used those packages of software which came with the Ubantu DVD and also you got connected to internet by some supporting device (modem) but the problem is not all device (modem) is supported by Ubantu or any other Linux Distros.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
retched, ok find me a usb modem driver for Samsung SGH-J600 mobile phone under any Linux distros and most welcome if its for ubantu,and you didnt needed terminal to install application because you only used those packages of software which came with the Ubantu DVD and also you got connected to internet by some supporting device (modem) but the problem is not all device (modem) is supported by Ubantu or any other Linux Distros.
Woah friend,

Im just stating my case.

Yours is a special case.

If you have a bluetooth dongle, you can connect to the samsung sgh-j600 via bluetooth and use bluetooth-browse to surf the internet.

Any files you may need along the way can be downloaded to your phone and copied to ubuntu via USB or Bluetooth.

No terminal needed.

As I said, use your time as money, and you will spend less on linux.

Or you can use your phone to search in the forums until you get a hit.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I like how ubuntu has 3 start locations.
Applications, Places, and System

Guess where your applications are?

Im sorry if I sound like a fan, but for years I was a graphic designer, and I dealt with a painfully slowing PC.

It is amazing how you can bring old systems back to life with a linux distro.

My first ibm clone was a commodore PC10-2. It was pumping 4.77MHz. BLAZING FAST.

It is amazing what could be done on that machine. I was hooked.

Now a few gigahertz later..

I have a 733mhz machine in my home that was my pride and joy for awhile. But it ultimately slowed to an unbearable crawl..

It got parked in a corner when a friend of mine moved away to become a hippy tree-hugger on a mission to find him-self. ;) Anyway, he gave me his 1.3GHz Pentium.

"Hoorah!" I exclaimed!

He took his harddrive with him, so I picked one up and started with a fresh windows install. win2k I believe.

All was good. I spent a few dollars more and got a 7K rpm HDD just because.

And I continued on with my life. I had started a little web design/graphic art company (Who didn't back then?) and churned away.

When It finally died, I ordered the computer I am working with now. I bought It mail order, and didn't pay for the speedy delivery (Was that what the mail-man said on Mr.Rogers Neighborhood?)

While I waited for that to show up (2+ weeks) I dusted off the 733 machine.

It was horribly slow.

This led to a surprise meeting with linux. After putting redhat on that machine, I was completely amazed at its renewed pep. Even with the GUI, it was 25% faster than the 1.3GHz machine. Boot times, load times.. And they each had 512meg ram.

When the new box arrived with vista installed, I thought "how cute". I started my life with my new computer and vista...

Then the same old stuff happened..

How could it be that a 3ghz machine with 3 cores 64bit blah blah blah could be about the same speed as the 733 machine.??

So, hello ubuntu.

I did make one mistake. I did not make the partition large enough when I set up a dual boot.

The next thing I knew it was a year later and my ubuntu partition is filling up, and I have not booted back into vista in well over 10 months.

Bill, I wish I would have considered the removable bays. That would be nice.

I have a Fantom Drives external HDD that I am quite happy with.

I have web cams, blackberry, HD video camera, audio recording equipment, uC development boards, o'scope, my own server, blah blah blah.. all running and connecting with ubuntu.

I have not had to drop to terminal to install anything but the server. I have not considered which operating system I am using during my purchases either.

I buy what I want, and It works.

I guess i am lucky.

But it is faster. And that I promise you.

If you feel the money you spent on a fast machine is being wasted, give it 3 days.

If you are happy, dont.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
retched,

What exactly is a "dual boot". Is this when you load 2 different os's to 2 different HD's on the same pc. If not, please explain what you mean because
i relished this behavior all the time. I first thought it was a virus but i then do a thoroughly scan and was sure it wasn't a virus.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You dont need 2 different hard drives.

When you power up, you will get a menu that will ask you which OS you want to load.

Mine said

Rich (BB code):
Microsoft Vista
Ubuntu Linux
I could select which one to boot.

They are on the same hard drive.

Goto here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You will see a windows installer.. It says: "If you're running Windows"

It will set you up with the dual-boot option.

If you do have a virus, this is a great way to remove them.

Often virii deactivate virus scanners and the such in windows.

By doing a virus scan in ubuntu, It will scan the windows partition also.

since most virii use windows DLLs, they will not be active when you are running ubuntu (or any linux flavor).

Try the dual boot, get a virus scanner, and check the whole system.

This way you can test drive ubuntu at the same time.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

Been using vista, then win 7, now I'm back to XP SP3, which seems much more stable. Though the updates aren't really helping, other than eating storage space.

I think Ubuntu has a very promising future.