Do you put your multimeter inside a bag to protect it form dust and scratches?

Do you save your multimeter inside a box to avoid dust/scratches...?

• Yes, I do

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, because it's not that important

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No, although I know should do it, but I'm way too lazy

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Hi,

do you save your multimeter inside a bag/box or something to avoid dust going inside while you're not using it, or you don't really care and have it always right there in the table ready to use?

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
I do not care about dust, it's a lot during winter though. I spray thin layer of engine oil (sometime with brush) to avoid rust and oxide, which collects even more dust. :)

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
My meters all came free from Harbor Freight. A bag costs more than the meter. So no.
Hahaha

I guess it's clear that by multimeter I mean a decent multimeter, from $50 or so up to $700 or more, not a $8 multimeter that I know no one cares about, myself included.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hahaha

I guess it's clear that by multimeter I mean a decent multimeter, from $50 or so up to $700 or more, not a $8 multimeter that I know no one cares about, myself included.
Are you freakin' kidding me? Put it in a bag? Chaaa...and monkeys might....oh never mind.
I don't put my scope in a bag either.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have a tool bag into which I will toss one of my meters when going to my kids to do electrical work. Otherwise they sit on a shelf awaiting me to use one.

I cannot answer the poll because my answer is "no, it does not matter."

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have a $300+ Fluke.. I throw it right in my toolbox without a care in the world...
Same here. For what my tools and equipment cost they had better be as durable or beyond what I expect of them and I expect them to take a lot of abuse.

Tools- I use them, not the other way around.
Exactly. I own my stuff. My stuff doesn't own me.

If a tool or piece of equipment can't stand up to the demands I place on it it will be replaced by something that can. ;)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I abuse the hell out of all of my tools. I'd love to be able to say that I take super good care of them and clean even the lowliest screwdriver after each use before putting it back exactly where it belongs -- I understand the value of doing so and, in actuality, the time cost is small compared to the time saved by never having to hunt for a tool and always knowing it will be ready for use. But I'm not that disciplined.

If the tool can't stand up to the abuse I give it, then I need to be using a better quality tool. As far as meters go, I have yet to destroy or damage one to the point of it not being perfectly usable -- though not for lack of trying.