Do you have any spare parts for sale?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I dont really want to ask, And i certainly dont want to beg.
But if any of you have diodes resisters capacitors transistors and so forth
in abundance You wouldnt mind selling for cheap. Please let me know?

And I mean pretty cheap because I have almost no money just barely making rent

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Most folks enter their location as part of their profile. You haven't done it yet, so we have to guess where you are writing from. It matters, if you are in the USA postage would be a lot cheaper than if you are in OZ. Heck, you could be local from what I know.

So, where are you? I don't need or want your full address, but a general location would be nice.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I use to live in Oregon, tough economy, probably much worse, considering the past few years. Salvaged most of my parts back in those days, not much money for hobbies. I keep a comfortable supply of parts these days, it's spare time I'm lacking now...

Anyhow, the trend the past several years, has been 'sampling'. Not sure if that's been totally ruined, since a good amount of those samples, are sold on Ebay. But most manufacturers would send you most anything, for free or postage. Was never intended to supply hobbyists, mostly schools, students, and production, where there was good potential for bulk sales in the future.

Recycling (salvaging) is the best way to go. People put out all kinds of electronics for the trashman. Thrift shops will usually load you up on busted stuff, which sometimes is pretty simple to repair. Always checkout the junk first. I recently picked up a LCD monitor, maybe 20", haven't found anything wrong with it, using it right now. If you can fix it, you can sell it, and buy the parts you want.

For little money, some surplus sites sell grab bags and mixed boxes. Not exactly free, but a lot less than buying individual parts. Sometimes you can score a real good deal, other times, not so much.

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I always have trouble desoldering the parts on the boards. lots of times i break then and doing that takes up my spare time. so does the baby.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
I can send you a grab-bag of assorted goodies no charge.
What is your level of expertise and/or interests in electronics?
I have boatloads of components I will never use or have enough days left to use...

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Beginner, Ive built Stander Ic projects with 555 timers.
I'm trying to get in to programming and building my own designs for mechanical devices and start a business with it.
I was going to attend devry university online but there online class wasn't accredited so I didnt go through with it

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
great,
I have a few 555s and 556s along with an assortment of 74xx, 74lsxx 4000 series and resistors, caps, coils and transistors I will send your way.

click on my name on the top left of this post and send me an e-mail so I can get an address

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
great,
I have a few 555s and 556s along with an assortment of 74xx, 74lsxx 4000 series and resistors, caps, coils and transistors I will send your way.

click on my name on the top left of this post and send me an e-mail so I can get an address
Man, I wish I knew someone like you when I was first beginning :D:D:p

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You have to ask. I have a pretty deep set of boxes, and wouldn't mind sending a few parts now and again.

Resistor offer

Sad fact it, if it crosses an international boarder costs go way up.

If you have a project you need help with drop me a line.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I always have trouble desoldering the parts on the boards. lots of times i break then and doing that takes up my spare time. so does the baby.
De-soldering large through-hole ICs is tough, but SMDs are worse. Actually, I would be doubtful about re-using the latter, ever - but maybe the youngsters will say otherwise. Dismantling stuff must be hard these days; I'm sort of glad I'm past all that.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a wide assortment of through-hole resistors and capacitors but not SMDs. When I am looking for an SMD component that I do not have in stock, I scavenge it off scrap electronic boards such as disk drive electronics. To desolder a SMD resistor or capacitor, I use two soldering irons applying heat at both ends. They come loose easily.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
How small can you go? These days I'd find 1206 hard with ordinary eyeglasses, and to do anything smaller I'd need a loupe. Do you use a microscope?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My eyesight isn't getting any better. I use a magnifier visor for casual inspection. For soldering, yes, I have to use a microscope. I try to stay with 0805 components and SOIC chips if available.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
PM me with your email address and we can talk -- Oregon's not too far away. I may have some stuff I'm willing to give away or trade for. I'm also heading to a place near Bend at the end of this month, so I could drop something off if it's on the way.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is another tip.

What do you do with those SMD resistors and capacitors laying around?
I have created a simple way to label and store my components.

Take a strip of "Scotch" tape, packing tape or whatever sticky tape you have, about 12 inches long. Take a sheet of ordinary paper and cut it length wise down the middle. If you wish you can cut the sheet into three or four pieces. Now rejoin the cut sheets with the sticky tape but leave about a half-inch (or 1 cm) gap between the paper.

With the sticky side of the tape facing upwards, just stick your SMD resistors and capacitors on to the tape. Label the values on the paper next to the component.

Voila! Now you can easily locate your SMD Rs and Cs.

You saw it first here on AAC!

Beginner, Ive built Stander Ic projects with 555 timers.
I'm trying to get in to programming and building my own designs for mechanical devices and start a business with it.
I was going to attend devry university online but there online class wasn't accredited so I didnt go through with it
If you PM me with your mailing address I'll send a spare blank PICkit 28 pin Demo Board, and the parts to build. Just look up the schematic from user guide.

Notes: Substitutes from schematic; 5k instead of 10k pot, 1/4 watt resistors instead of 1/8 watt (so may not be flat to board), 20pf instead of 22pf caps for crystal, and no 32khz watch crystal.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
All right -- this is cool! This is what makes this a great forum -- a bunch of folks want to help this guy! Thanks to all the cool AAC'ers...

Oh, yeah, I need a new Agilent scope and spectrum analyzer. With generosity like this, I should have them in a couple of days. :p

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
All right -- this is cool! This is what makes this a great forum -- a bunch of folks want to help this guy! Thanks to all the cool AAC'ers...

Oh, yeah, I need a new Agilent scope and spectrum analyzer. With generosity like this, I should have them in a couple of days. :p
I got a few EICO460's collecting dust:cool:
I know, I would have to pay you to take them:p
hey, they were the cat's meow back in the day!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I'm willing to mail parts to anyone in the USA at no charge if it fits in a standard envelope needing one stamp. I would do this on an as needed basis. If you have a project, post the parts list and those willing can send you what they have on hand. Myself, I have lots of surface mount resistors and caps in 0805 package and general purpose transistors in sot23 package. I also have through hole resistors and 7400 series parts and lots of oddball stuff too. I can't mail a roomfull of stock, but if I provide specific things for a project, it's likely to be easily mailed in the USA.

Also, don't expect express mail service and I can't promise I'll get it in the mail that very day.