Joined Apr 25, 2008
You may not attend but most properties are now located in a
association.Condo property the same,If you don't have it,you
will encounter it if you move or rent.With credit and criminal
checks,you can be rejected.There is a movement on to have all
properties located in associations. Mobil home parks located in
farmland can have associations.You can assessed fees for common
areas,your property sold for fees if you don't pays them.Whats
happening in your state,these are state laws.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They have unsuccessfully tried to pull their teeth in Texas, but the movement to limit these groups is still active.

I remember the story where a home was foreclosed while the owner was off serving his country for less than $100. He lost the lawsuit.

I will never be a member of such an organization. To say I detest them is a major understatement.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you talking homeowners association?

The State Legislature is every year. If the Governor thinks they left critical work undone he can call them into session off season.

Maybe you are thinking elections?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
It must be the farm bill that gets attention every 4 four years.
I was talking to an assistant in the Gov,s office its been
a while,I was left with that impression for some reason.

You got my Bill's too congrats on Moderator.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Do you belong to a homeowner association.
No. No way. Never!

I hate the idea of a committee deciding what is right and wrong for me.

In fact, I am strongly thinking of selling my place as it is and moving to an un-incorporatted township so that I can live my life my way. It pisses me off in the extreme to have the fornicating town tell me I can or cannot build a bridge over a creek in my back yard, or a building for my motorcycles, or a portico over my carport.

I would rather live in a tent in the amazon than be involved in a HOA.

Curse the thought!!!!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill,

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.

Funny thing is, they can start off with good intentions and be well governed. Sooner or later the dictator gets elected though.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Agreed with most of what you say Bill,

However,

It just seems to me though, that when a group is formed to take away the individual's control over the individual's own property, best intentions are not what they were after.

Forgive me, but vexation is my natural response to this concept. I wouldn't say I'm anti-communist per se. Well, maybe I am, but my response to this, abomination of a concept, is anti-idiocy.

I associate with my wife in regards to our home. That is quite enough, thanks. My neighbors need to worry themselves about their own homes and keep mine out of their circle of concern.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If you enjoy living in suburbia and you enjoy the value of your suburban domicile increasing or at least staying the same, then move to a location with a HOA. If you enjoy living in suburbia and don't care about the value of your home, move to a neighborhood that has no HOA (if you can find one); you will be surrounded by people who don't cut their grass, leave crap strewn about their front yard, and have cars on blocks in their driveway. If you're like me and don't care to go anywhere near suburbia and cookie-cutter high cost low value housing matrices then move to the sticks and enjoy living as you like among nature.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
When I bought my house, I decided to not buy one that had an association.

My real estate agent told me a funny true story about associations when I was buying my house. This association in a conservative neighborhood had a rule that all houses had to be painted white with black trim. One man was tired of this rule and painted his house with a non-white, but still conservative, color. The association sued him and a judge ruled that he had to repaint the house in conformance with the rules he agreed to when he bought the house. The man had to oblige but was upset. His solution was to paint the house like a Dalmatian dog - white with black spots. He even had a nose and ears, with a tail hanging off one side. The association was furious and sued again, but the judge ruled that the house was in conformance with the association rules. :p